or Connect

Posts by cpmamas

I'm so sorry to hear about these circumstances. It is always so difficult when we find ourselves with birth conditions that are so different from what we had hoped. With my son's birth, I found out midway through that I had fairly significant fibroids that edged me out of a birth center birth, and it was devastating initially because there was a good likelihood of a cesarean delivery, which was nothing that I wanted. With a lot of work, and making sure I had just the right...
We had a bit of a harrowing appointment yesterday. Our OB first detected two gestational sacs with her tiny office ultrasound machine, and she couldn't see anything in them, so she sent us for a more sensitive ultrasound. The tech did not see a second sac, but she did see a fetal pole and was able to measure it, even abdominally, and while she couldn't capture it for long--not even long enough to record it--we all saw the tiny flickering heart a couple of times. I'm...
We will probably do it, as I'm over 35, and we also have the added worry stemming from having lost our son to leukemia last year. There is something about that that makes us want more information (even though he wasn't born with the disease, nor was his type of leukemia inherited)--possibly the fear of another child born with a predisposition to cancer or other long-term health issues. And I imagine we will find out the sex straight away.   What I do like so much about...
Oh, SeaSiren, I'm so sorry this happened. Sending light and healing your way.   I am at six weeks two days. I haven't miscarried before, but I did lose my only child to leukemia last year at the age of three. I'm having such a hard time trusting in this pregnancy because I'm so terrified of losing another. My wife is so great about staying positive and looking forward, and I'm stuck in this pit of total anxiety. And to top it off, I've got some very light spotting today....
We loved cloth diapering our son and will do it with this next babe too. We did for a little while use the GroVia hybrid system which allows you to get disposable (compostable) inserts or to use cloth inserts with their covers. We used this for traveling particularly, which was handy. I think we'll use the Flip system for this purpose this time because it's so much cheaper.   As for regular, everyday cloth diapering, we used pocket diapers or all in ones mostly (although...
Seasiren, I wanted to add that in my first pregnancy, I had a couple of vaginal ultrasounds, and I bled after each one. Sometimes that cervix is just really sensitive (and with so much more blood during pregnancy, it just bleeds a bit easier--this is what I was told my by doc and mw). Hope you're hanging in there.
My wife and I used a hyphenated last name for our son. It was long and a little clunky, but he actually really liked it, and we did too. We really just tried on both combinations--hers first, then mine first, and we decided we both liked mine first because it was easier to say aloud.  There were times with medical records and things when one name would be left off, which was always a bit annoying, and which seems to be commonplace with hyphenated names, but we just...
I've had plenty of bloating (more so than with my first pregnancy) and my digestion has slowed waaayyyy down. My first symptom this time was definitely super-scent, and in the last two days, that has increased so dramatically that I'm starting to have cases of the queasies when I smell something overly fragranced or otherwise unpleasant. This makes teaching college freshmen (some of whom are still learning the fine art of laundry) more than a little challenging!
That is fantastic! (And probably a bit overwhelming, yes?) Congratulations! My wife has hoped and hoped we will have twins. We shall see!
I'm so very sorry about your grandmother. Loss of our loved ones is so difficult to bear, but when we have the added concerns about a growing babe, it can be tempting to be a little hard on ourselves. I want to echo what Rights of Passage had to say in that grieving however it feels appropriate is the best thing you can do for yourself and your baby right now.   One thing I have learned in the year since my son died is that actively grieving, letting the pain come out,...