or Connect

Posts by OldFashionedGirl

One has to wonder how we all survived long enough to produce children of our own without the "necessity" of cell phones.   Until my kids can afford to pay for one on their own, their not having one.  If "everyone else has one," then it should be no problem to borrow a friend's phone in the event of an emergency.  And if you "need" a phone to keep track of your kid, you're failing as a parent.
I may be the wrong person to ask, as my kids are only 4 and 5, so I suppose a lot could change between now and the teenage years.  That said, I've never really had a problem getting them to help; I've expected it of them since they were quite young.  They've always been expected to clean up after themselves.  Even a two year old is more than capable of putting away his toys.  Early on, obviously, it requires help and direction.  Yes, of course, even now, it would often be...
Quote:   I couldn't agree with you more.  I haven't been a regular on this board for years because I find the women on here to be incredibly judgmental.  It's difficult to offer a suggestion when I know the odds are high that someone is going to jump down my throat for being a bad mother. 
I never used sippy cups with my kids (one of those bizarre things I have very strong opinions on .  My kids are 3 and 4, and for at least the last year, probably closer to 2, they've each had their own water bottle.  Nothing special, just a Rubbermaid thing; I made sure it was something they could open and close on their own.  They tote it everywhere and both drink water like it's going out of style (which is fine by me).
Not as concise as the others, but my motto nevertheless:   My job as a parent is to do such a good job, that when my children are 18 they don't need me anymore.  My goal as a parent is to do this in such a way that they still WANT me to be around, anyway.
Absolutely not, to both questions.  I do not let my kids win at games, nor do I allow cheating.   The only way to get better at games is by playing better players.  Letting a kid win teaches them absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned.    And I'm horrified that you would allow cheating.  I can sort of understand parents who on occassion allow their kids to win.  I don't agree, but I can see where they're coming from.  But to allow cheating?  How can you not...
      With all due respect, I could not possibly disagree more.   I make a concerted effort to STOP myself from picking up their toys and make sure that THEY do it.  It takes infinitely longer than if I'd just do it myself, but I feel it's an important lesson teach:  I was not put on this earth to act as their personal maid.  It sets a bad precedent for me clean up after them now.  Now is the time to teach them to pick up after themselves:  they are at the age when they...
        I don't understand comments like this.  To me it is simple:  kids help because you expect it of them.  It is not an option.  Sure, there are lots of things to distract them.  But the things you listed--TV, computer, etc...--are privileges, not rights.  Shut the crap off:  no computer, no TV, no ipod, etc... until they pick up their room/put away the dishes/vacuum/insert chore here.    They are the kids.  You are the parent.  Like it or not,...
I have to say, "This, too, shall pass," always pissed me off, especially when my kids were newborns.  It didn't help me in the middle of the night when my baby was screaming bloody murder for no reason.  I know it's helpful for other people, but it wasn't for me.    I guess my "motto" is, "This could be the last."  I once read a story in one of those silly Chicken Soup for the Soul books, this one for new mothers.  The author talks about how you have these baby books...
Quote: Originally Posted by MadameXCupcake Justed wanted to add you can have a religious revelation at any time and stop vaccinating completely at any time. Good Luck. I do think my religious revelation will be occuring shortly. I'm going to allow my daughter to get vax'd through 12 mo. (MMR shots seprately, no chicken pox) and then I will become extremely religious. Just a premonition I have