or Connect

Posts by barefootmama0709

I would just take a step back, try and relax and see how preschool goes. That will be an excellent litmus test to see if you're going to need additional services or not. My son on the spectrum VERY obviously needed help once we enrolled him in preschool; we ended up changing schools two months in so he could go to another school that had better resources for children with spectrum disorders. He did very well at his last school-so well that we have established a scholarship...
I have found the phrase "you don't have to like it, but you have to do it" to be enormously useful. Kids can have feelings about the situation but that doesn't always influence the outcome. I offer examples of grown-ups also having do do things they don't enjoy as well, to show that the rule goes for everyone. I also tell him that as his mother it's my job to keep him safe and sometimes that means I get to just decide what's happening. 
As a former parent of a child with autism (my late son was high-functioning) I would like to reiterate that autism is NOT always obvious. You have probably seen children with ASDs and not known; stuff is not always going to jump out at you. You're also used to your son's particular traits and behavior so even if he's displaying other signs, you may not notice them. My son was highly verbal, had an extremely high IQ and made good eye contact. He could also carry on a...
 My son is 4 but that's often our approach. On school days, he can use his iPad (he has his own, given to him by a well-meaning but overindulgent great-aunt) for a little while in the evening; usually 45 minutes or so. He's equally interested in learning programs (he very much enjoys practicing his letters) and television. He tends to end up doing learning activities on it most of the time anyway but he's not forced to do them. He has it taken away immediately if he...
More than just meaningless "good job!" type praise, I try to offer specific reasons why I'm thankful/grateful that he's done something. Such as: "that's really helpful to me when you clean up/listen/open the door for me". If it's a project or something that he's sharing with me, I do always find something positive to say about it; he's 4 and likes acknowledgement for what he's done. He also likes high-5s for things he's done that he's not fond of, like writing his name on...
We tried pretty hard to veer away from popular names but it didn't make any name a no-no. DH came up with ODS's name and I picked YDS's name because I've always loved it. We are going to TTC again next year and DH is pushing really hard for Leonidas if it's a boy. Yes, because of "300". I'm torn, but want to name a girl Coraline after the Neil Gaiman character, so I'm not vetoing his choice yet.
It's fine to cry in front of your children! And yes, they might be frightened by it-my son often asks if he did something to upset me. I always reassure him that I'm crying because I miss his brother and it makes me sad-it often leads to discussions about our feelings which are very important for a kid his age (or any age!). NEVER be afraid to let your children know that you have human emotions. 
Sooooo...this is my first year with an herb garden. I have: English lavender, purple sage, white sage, golden oregano, regular oregano, thyme, parsley, calendula and two kinds of basil. What should I do to winter these plants over? Should I start new ones from cuttings (and how do I do that??) Should I dig up whole plants and bring them inside? Help, please!!
We love Boynton's "The Going-To-Bed Book". So fun, cute rhymes.
My late son used to get REALLY MAD about the "digger" page because they didn't say "excavator". I didn't like it much either-"digger" is not a machine.