or Connect

Posts by barefootmama0709

So, I recently bought a kiddie pool for my kiddies. It's lovely. However, it's also in the sun and gets algae-very, very fast. Like, less than a week. I really don't want to put chemicals in it, but I can't keep cleaning it and refilling because we live in an apartment and that would just be a ridiculous amount of water usage. Any tips or tricks? There is nowhere shady it can go. I can't even move it-it's in the only relatively flat spot in the yard. Am I going to have to...
I went to stir my sourdough today, and the liquid on top was a dark gray. Can I still use it? There was no mold, and it smells as sourdough should. It is kept in a plastic bucket-the color is definitely related to the sourdough itself.
Quote: Originally Posted by lotusdebi "Different things work for different families. We're doing what works for us. Pass the bean dip, please." Keep it short and sweet and then change the conversation. Repeat. Don't get dragged into any conversation where you're put on the defensive. Smile and simply walk away if he doesn't take the hint and let it go. ^^Definitely that. If he keeps pushing, just say "FIL, my choices aren't up for...
Quote: Originally Posted by olien -throwing food to the dogs ^^I would tell him something like "If you don't want to eat your food, you may leave the table. Your food is not for the dogs". If he's bored enough to throw food then he's probably not hungry any more. Quote: Originally Posted by olien -not staying seated to eat & wanting to run around with food in hand ^^"If you want to eat, you must sit at the table"....
Quote: Originally Posted by kjbrown92 So he normally has brownish-orange mucousy stool that is nearly liquid all the time?And now it's green instead of orange? Is it more liquid than the nearly liquid of the brownish-orange? ^^No. He normally poops once/twice a day and it's not liquid. He began with orange liquid-y stool on Sunday, and progressed to green liquid-y stool. I have only been feeding him foods that I know don't upset his tummy,...
I don't know if two strains could be present in the body at the same time. I also got chicken pox twice as a kid-one fairly mild case (spots mostly over the lymph glands in my armpits) and one more severe (spots on the entire body, but not in my throat or anywhere else internally).
I'm going to say roseola too-my ODS had it at 6 mos. Unfortunately it was a very scary time for us-his fever came back VERY suddenly (he went from 98.6 to 106 in under 30 minutes) and he had a febrile seizure and ended up in the ER. Glad your DD came through it with a minimal amount of drama!! The rash should mostly disappear in a few days-ODS's re-appeared (sort of-you could see where it had been) for about a month afterwards if he had been crying or if he got too hot.
I remember having an INTENSE fear of death as a kid-so much so that I would become very nauseated and even vomit upon occasion. It has been probably 20 years (at least 15) and I still remember it vividly. I also experienced some very intense death-related nightmares at this time. I think it's pretty normal for kids; everyone has to come to terms with death in their own way at some point. Honestly, I would talk about it as much as he seems to need right now-this is a huge...
If ODS wakes up at night, he usually just wails until I come and find him-he's 2 1/2. He gets up to find me in the AM though (sometimes-other times he just plays in his bedroom until I get up).
I want to join! I'm a zone 3. I have tomatoes, arugula, a pepper, parsley and basil growing right now, all in containers. I'm planting carrots and radishes this weekend in one of my window boxes, and I'm also going to do a cuke and a squash of some sort in 5-gallon buckets. (I'm starting them from plants, not seed, because I have no place to start seeds indoors). I'm undecided about the other window box-any recommendations? It's 3' long and about 12" deep.