or Connect

Posts by BirthKathy

My son was the same way at that age.  Well, actually it started at about 5 months and escalated to full severe eczema by 10 months.  I kept changing my diet, and it just kept getting worse.  It was very itchy, too.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out natural lotions and creams, but in the end it was all food allergies.    We didn't get relief until we had his blood tested for allergies.  He is allergic to soy, dairy, peanut, tree nut, sesame, fish, egg,...
If your husband is willing, ask him to read "Montessori Madness" by Trevor Eissler.   http://www.amazon.com/Montessori-Madness-Parent-Argument-Education/dp/098228330X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335966667&sr=8-1   Good luck!
My son is almost three and hasn't wanted to wear short sleeved shirts for months.  I didn't worry about it since it was cold out.  This week, it has been in the 80's, and he is resisting my suggestions to wear short sleeved shirts.  I sent him to preschool yesterday in short sleeves, and when I got there he was playing on the playground with his jacket on.  His teacher said he didn't want to take it off.  I tried to take it off to get in the car and he said, "no, you...
Like I posted above, my son's school allowed me to go with him for an entire day.  He did tell me today and yesterday and he wanted me to go in with him.  I explained that they were very kind to allow us both to go last week, but that the class isn't for parents, just children.  I asked him if the other kids' parents were there, and he said no and seemed to agree that it was better without parents.   I think your teacher's suggestion of starting with just an hour is a...
Hi Moms,   My son is 2 years 10 months and he just started this week in a transitional preschool class, 3 mornings a week.  Most of the kids started in September and had to be 2 1/2 at that time, but there are at least 2 who started later and are younger than he is.  The class has about 20 kids, 2 teachers and 1 assistant teacher.  He has never been to a babysitter or daycare.    They allowed me to attend with him for a full morning last week to introduce him to...
Thanks again to those who replied to my questions.  We chose a very nice Montessori school for the fall.  We also started him in a "transitional preschool" Montessori class for now that is for kids who were 2 1/2 by last September 30th.  So he is just a little younger than the average kids in the class.  There is a low teacher to student ratio, and it is traditional Montessori.  I've been observing for his first two days, and it's going well.  He's a bit nervous with the...
Thank you, ollyoxenfree, I appreciate hearing about your experience.   I think you may be right about Montessori being thought of as academic or non-play.  That wasn't my impression at all as I've visited the classrooms.  It seems like the children have plenty of time for play along with doing their works.  And many of the works are very simple or play-like, so it definitely doesn't appear to be strenuously academic to me.  Today, I spoke to a director at another local...
Thanks, this is giving me a lot to think about.  The school I like best so far is also my son's favorite.  But not for the same reasons!  He is just dying to play with some cars that he saw in their extended care room.  We aren't seriously considering the extended care program right now, just morning Montessori.  But I have been thinking about how he would probably like to have that play time.  He is a very big napper, though - 3 hours a day, so it's hard to justify...
Thank you for your responses.  Yes, I feel that he needs it.  I am boring him here at home.  I work from home and I'm able to work mostly during his nap, but I do have to be at home most days to be available to the phone and computer.  So we aren't as free to go out and visit museums, etc., as I'd like to be.  He doesn't have any playmates his own age, and I believe that he would benefit from being around other children.  I like what I've read about the Montessori...
Hi there Moms and Dads,   My son is 2 1/2 and is an early reader.  He can read almost anything.  If he doesn't know a word, he tries it phonetically.  If he's off, we pronounce it for him and then he knows that word.  So anyway, he may be "gifted."  He has an advanced vocabulary and excellent memory.  He still calls himself "you," though.  :-)   We are planning to enroll him in preschool this fall, and I am wondering about your experiences with preschool styles. ...