or Connect

Posts by lostinspain

I give mine a spray of hydrogen peroxide and throw them in the washing machine to wait for the next load.  They can be washed at any temp that way, so I wash them with whatever load I put in next (diapers, sturdy cotton, or delicates).
Both of my children are trilingual--I speak English with them (SAE), dad speaks Spanish (the community language) and they do all of their education in Basque. I do mix languages, and I speak in Spanish with my husband, but both children speak beautifully in English, and respond to me ,even if I speak in Spanish or Basque, in English. I would say try not to worry about hard, fast rules. Play with the languages, have fun--they are tools for us, not something to be...
Kitzenger's big book on childbirth is available in Spanish and has a good section for the birth partner: El Nuevo Gran Libro del Embarazo y del Parto otherwise, the website Crianza Natural suggests a number of other books Saludos
I had a male midwife at my first homebirth, and it was a wonderful experience. Given that I wanted someone to respect my decisions and give me room to birth on my own, his sex was not an issue. He is also the father of three children and has attended all of their births, so gentleness, understanding of fears, etc. were just a natural for him. Unfortunately he's taking a year off to catch up with his family, so I've had to find a new midwife for this birth, and have a...
We named our daughter Carmen, and love the name. We live in the north of Spain and though the name is common for women over 50, it is an unusual name for small children. We also considered Sophia (though my husband is not a monarchist) Silvia Paula Our newest baby will be Anne, but we did think about Ana or Ane June Laura For boys we also looked at Basque names, and named our son Joseba, which in English is problematic. We also...
I'm usually just a lurker, but this conversation has really interested me. My insurance paid for my first daughter's homebirth (800 Euros, which I thought was inexpensive). My second homebirth cost me about $1,500 out of pocket, although I could have had a "free" hospital birth. This included prenatal care, homevisits, etc. Though it was quite a bit more, it still seemed reasonable (probably because my income had also increased considerably) Now I'm planning my third...
Well, currently DH and DS (4yo) sleep in a queen in one room, and DD(6yo) and I sleep in another room in a full. Our plan is to move DD, baby and I to the queen (with our co-sleeper attached), and let the boys have the full. We used a moses basket next to the bed for DD, but it was really used to keep clothes and diapers in, and to make sure that if she fell out, she didn't fall far. With DS I decided I needed a bigger "catch all" and something longer alongside the...
Three year olds have their own thing going on--and it often involves throwing things and needing lots of cuddle time. I've tried to be gentle with my daughter, and use positive parenting ideas, and we still had a lot of challenges when she was three. My brother-in-law and his wife are strict disciplinarians (time out, forced apologies, etc.) and their daughter does exactly the same things. The only thing that I've found to get through these challenges, because they keep...
I'm looking at a Feb. 7 due date, for baby number 3. Hopefully it will be a straightforward homebirth like the first two. (in 2003 and 2005) I'm really excited, but soooo tired. This time I'm over 35, so I'm going to have an ultrasound at the end of this month--just to see that everything is where it should be, and to make sure there is only one. With the other two I had no idea what I was getting, and I like it that way, so I think I'll stop at one ultrasound. ...
My daughter, now 6, did many of the same things--and I don't think I handled it particularly well, but hindsight.... I often used movies (I live out of the country and like to put on movies in English), but finally realised that they worsened out situation. Many stand-offs we had were about additional movies. I also found the she got incredibly nervous and crabby after a movie. Now we've gone back to watching them this year, and she turns off the TV herself...