or Connect

Posts by DianeMarie

I forgot....... --playing in the "sand pile" (same thing as a "sand box", only there was no box, only a HUGE pile of sand in the backyard) --swinging as high as I could and then jumping off the swing in the backyard (that hung off of a giant oak tree branch.......a piece of 2x4 attached by 2 thick ropes and hung up by Dad) --fresh, sweet corn-on-the-cob in August
Awwww.....I love this thread.........reading everybody's "things" made me smile bigger than I have in a long time---so much history and wonderful memories in all this stuff. What I remember doing as a child....... --sitting on the ground looking for 4-leaf clovers --laying on my back, looking at the clouds and trying to find figures in them --going to the beach from 9am until the sun set, with my parents or my friends and their parents, BBQ'ing with a Hibachi grill,...
It sounds to me like he is just trying to get your attention, but for LONGER periods of time----typical when a new baby comes around. He was used to being the only one and getting ALL of your attention 100% of the time, and now he has to share your attention, and has figured out that his dissatisfaction with things will make you try harder to make him happy (until you reach the point where you are now and don't want to do anything with/for him) and that takes a longer...
Can I contribute the peeves of my ex-husband? Maybe then it will be clear why I got divorced...... I attempted to have 3 different hampers--one for darks, one for whites and one for colors. He ignored them, and would either leave his clothes all over the floor, or just take them off and put everything he had on in whatever hamper he felt like lifting the top off of. He used to take off his socks, inside out, then put them in a ball and put them in the hamper. I...
I heard a very interesting idea many years ago someplace, can't remember where, but it hit me as to what an AWESOME idea it was. I know there is a lot of debate over giving kids an "allowance", and I am not going to get into the why's and why-not's about it. This set of parents gave their children an allowance, with ONE rule: They must save 1/2 of it for a particular amount of time (like 6 months or something), and they can spend the rest. Well, at first, right...
I was in Wal-Mart once and there was a child sitting in a shopping cart while his mother was wheeling him around the store, SCREAMING bloody murder at the top of his lungs. You could actually hear this kid screaming from across the store, that's how loud he was. Everybody in the store was looking at her, wondering why she didn't leave. This kid was OUT.OF.CONTROL. They finally left, after standing in a checkout line for about 15 minutes because it was crowded and busy....
In reading your post, I think your expectations of "family time" are very different than what your child's "expectations" are. You want the picture-perfect family time----mother and father walking hand in hand, children happily walking alongside them with a big smile on their faces.........and this just isn't how it is, ESPECIALLY with one 6 year-old child. Being an only child is tough---I was one, in a way. My 2 older brothers are 16 years and 11 years older than me,...
I read the original post about this girl wandering around the house at night and getting into stuff.....I can't believe that her parents aren't concerned about this. I can understand sleeping deeply and not hearing anything---hell, I slept through a major thunderstorm last week---but, to not take any measures to prevent this from happening is mind boggling to me. The simple fact that she got into the sunscreen is a perfect example of her being able to access...
I am in medicine ans I have never once heard that pot killed anybody---but booze certainly has, cigarettes certainly have, and they are legal. The ONE AND ONLY reason why marijuana is not legal has to do with money---you can grow pot in your house or in your backyard, and the government cannot tax it and make money off of your vice. That is why it is not legal. If it were ever legalized, I do think, though, that it should have the same restrictions as alcohol with...
Hi everybody---I am brand new here, and I am not even a mother (although I live with my 80 year-old mother who can sometimes rival a child....), but I have been reading posts for a few months now, and I like to read and look at people's websites and blogs for recipes and gardening tips, etc. I know it sounds kind of weird, but mothers really are the best source of domestic stuff like that!! And I love looking at everybody's pictures of their families and houses and...