or Connect

Posts by brandywine

I mostly get the "you're brave" comment, followed by the "I could never do that" comment. Sometimes the woman will then go on to tell a harrowing tale of crisis on top of mis-managed emergency that eventually leads to the birth (usually emergency c-sec) of her child. Most of the time just smile and nod, but occasionally I can't hold my togue and out pops something along the lines of "Yeah, it sounds like hospital birth really worked out for you." The sad thing is, they...
It sounds like you have some reasonable fears. There is a good discussion about gestational diabetes on this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=257447 In my opinion, the test is likely faulty, the diagnosis itself possibly a farce and I'm not conviced that 'treatment' of the 'disease' leads to better outcomes for mom and baby. I'm not an expert though...but I am a 3 time GD mama, lol.
Hi all, I wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this (possibly gardening). Our state (OR) is looking at a bad drought this year, and we are considering saving our washing water to use on the vegetable garden. I'm wondering what kinds of shampoos, conditioners, bath soap, dish detergent (hand wash only), etc might be best to use. I know it's more natural to go soap/shampoo free, but that's just not going to happen, lol, and I'm also not likely to make my own. ...
I hear you on the size thing. If someone would have told me my first baby was pushing 10 lbs, I probably would have signed up for the next available cesarean appointment. But in fact, I totalled 6 hours of unmedicated labor, from the very first contraction. And I pushed for less than a half hour, no tearing. Now the 7 lb, 11oz baby was a different story...OUCH! LOL!
This site isn't very sincere, but it's hillarious. http://notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/index.html
I'm not a mw or any kind of expert, but I have been to a few hospital land births, and at all the births I've been to, the mamas have peed/pooed a bit during labor and the baby passes right through that area. So if I were looking to compare the bacterial exposures of land and water births, it seems like land birth offers no dillution whereas waterbirth offers at least some. Also, I have heard that some bacteria and viruses can't survive in bath-temperature water (HIV,...
I guess I'm the person who probably wouldn't want to know whether or not I had GD. With my first pregnancy, they CNM planned to check for GD twice, because of my family history of diabetes, so I took one test early and passed, barely....but then she spaced out that I was supposed to take another test later....and I didn't bother to remind her because taking the test the first time I vomited twice and had to start over. Yuck. So, at the birth (hospital) they checked my...
Quote: There's no law that says you can't take your baby home after two hours, is there? I think a home birth would be a great choice, and I'm sure your dh would get on board once he got used to the idea, but if you can't swing it financially, maybe you can get some sort of waiver signed by your ped saying you can leave early? My ped said he would do it if I had to transport. Even if you can't, it's your baby, and YOU'RE paying THEM for their services. I'd just...
I have in snow peas and sugar snap peas, radishes, mesclun mix and regular butter lettuce. I'm planning to add a few brandywine tomatoes, sweet corn, a zuchinni, bush beans, and maybe a melon. I've never grown any type of melon before. I'm not postitive I'll have room though. When the peas are done, I'm hoping to replace them with hard shell gourds, which I've also never grown before, but the crafts look like so much fun! Oh and basil. When I was in high school, my best...
I'm not hoping to birth before my mw gets here, but I have been dreaming that the labor is really short, and my SIL has been having dreams that it's a very short labor too. She lives four hours away and I plan on calling her when labor gets going in earnest (if it EVER gets going in earnest) in hopes that she will make it here in time for the birth. But I have to say, I certainly won't complain if the labor is so quick that she misses it, :LOL