or Connect

Posts by brandywine

When we first talked with our midwife (Pam, above) one thing that was really informative was when she showed us what she brought with her to the birth. Although I'm sure she brings alot more stuff than she uses, it gave me a good idea about how she dealt with different situations. For instance, it was reassuring to see all the little homeapathy bottles line up in her bag Also, I have a history of GD, and I wanted to try to avoid insulin shots this time, so I asked her...
I never thought to avoid smoked fish during pregnancy. I'm actually not sure that fresh raw fish is really much of a problem. If so, somebody better hurry up and inform all those Eskimos and Inuit, :LOL
Wow, thanks for the info! The friends we talked to about hens have a small egg business, so they probably push for production. I was pretty horrified at the 'waste' of the hens, so I didn't bother to look into any further, but it sounds like it might be doable for us after all. Can you recommend some lower-producing breeds that would lay for longer? We wouldn't be getting started until probably next year, because (pause for contraction.....) We're excpecting a : any...
Plant radishes. They come up really fast, which is pretty satisfying for first time growers. Also, if you don't harvest them and they bolt (send up tall stems and flower) you can stir-fry the seed pods, and maybe even tell people you did it on purpose. You can also plant mesclun mix or other lettuce mixes, and have little gourmet salads. Radishes and mesclun mix are both early crops, so you can plant something else in their space later, if you feel up to it. I like to...
We have jersey wooly rabbits and holland lops, just for fun and the free, easy to handle manure. We've been thinking about getting some hens, but we don't have any experience with chickens, and friends of ours told us that hens only lay well for about a year or two and after that, they aren't much good to eat so they get auctioned off and made into pet feed and stuff. I get pretty emotionally attached to animals, so I'm not sure I would want to do that, but I'm also not...
I'm due now, and we are planning on having our son, age 7 and our daughter age 5 here. We are also a Christian family but I guess our ideas about modesty are a little different. We have someone coming just for the kids, and if things get to stressful or scary or they get tired out, grandpa is on call to come get them. I doubt they will leave though. My boy is a little stressed about me being in pain (I've had some strong contractions for the past few days, so he's...
I'm due sometime this week, I think, and planning a home waterbirth. As far as 'mood' goes, I'm really looking forward to the birth fitting in as part of my normal life. For instance, I don't have special labor music chosen, but I don have my CD's close to the stock tank where I'm going to birth, so I can listen to whatever sounds right at the moment. Early in labor I'm hoping to bake some bread or do some gardening, go for walks on our property etc. I'm also looking...
We had a simillar problem a few years ago, and though the parents seemed to recognize that there was a problem, they didn't really do much about it. I don't think they had any ideas about what could be done. After gently bringing up the behavior of the offending child with her parents several times (and getting a befuddled shrug in response) we decided to make sure we were always right on hand for our kids when this girl was around. Whenever she would say or do something...
Ok, my mom is driving me nuts. I'm due in a week, and planning a home water birth. She's not invited because she is nasty and manipulative and full of crap. She was at the births of my other two babes and to be honest, I was going to allow her to come to this one too, until my mw talked me out of it (thank you Pamela ). So, like I said, I'm not even due for a week and she keeps calling me all day long, asking if I'm in labor yet. And she is really pressuring me...
From my understanding, the tea is supposed to help make contractions more effective and coordinated. Here is a site with some info and testamonials: http://www.herbsfirst.com/descriptio...alformula.html