or Connect

Posts by ellemenope

Tigerle--  I'll be thinking about you and your family.  Keep us updated.
I can totally relate to the title of this thread, OP.  Except that behavior wise, my DD(4) is the "calm, quiet, patient, thoughtful child that is sooo easy going."  She never questions authority, never tantrums, never hits.  She is intimidated by everything.  She never wants to be the center of attention.  When she is unhappy she bottles it up.  She has said that she hates her life, yet, she never acts out.  It is frustrating because all anyone ever sees is a a quiet,...
It has been months since I have updated what DD's been up to.  School doesn't start until next week for us, so I thought I would tack something on the end of this thread.  We have had a busy summer that seemed to never let up.     At the end of spring DD was beginning to dabble in reading chapter books with me.  But, I think she got a little overwhelmed by it all and started to protest.  So, I took summer as an opportunity to back off. We continued to go to the...
My DD acted quite similarly at that age.  I remember she was a watcher.  She was an observer.  She would have done exactly as you described in those situations.  She also could sit and listen to a book for hours.  I will say that she did start entertaining herself around that age which made my left infinitely easier.  I think it was about that age that she would play pretend with her figures for long periods of time.     It does seem that the older she gets the...
250 dollars--30 min, 10 lessons, 5 kids, 2 instructors, 93 degree salt water pool, private swim school.
I don't think it is pushing if they are begging for it. You will have raised eyebrows for sure, perhaps implying that play is so important at this age and warning of burnout. But, a three-year-old who can read can also get lost in fantastic and elaborate imaginative play for hours at a time. A three-year-old can learn to read without formal instruction or curriculums. Math is everywhere, not just in textbooks. And, a three-year-old can pursue some academic interests...
My DD (3) absolute favorite and most played with toys are her wooden blocks and wooden animals.  We have invested over 300 dollars in HABA blocks (fantasy blocks, starter sets, special blocks) over the past years and she would love more.  She constantly runs out of blocks to use with over 200 pieces! They have been the best toy investment we have made, (those and the balance bike.) Those Kapla blocks are very enticing. For her, it is not so much about building as it is...
  These American Museum of Natural History readers are first grade level and less technical, more narrative.  They are fact-filled little stories with great pictures.  DD likes them better than the National Geographic readers because of...
  I think that's it. For example my DD is sensitive in her own way but also craves adventure and emotional rides from books that are clearly fantasy. I have come to learn that there is almost nothing she can't handle as long as it is told through the eyes of talking animals and inanimate objects. So while Charlotte's Web and James and the Giant Peach were huge hits, we have avoided the Astrid Lindgren books for one reason or another.   Have you tried reading while he...
DD(3.5) just told me that four halves make two. She has also been memorizing simple addition facts. (2+3, 5+5, 10+10, 100+anything, 100+100) And, she has been skip counting higher, 2s, 5s, and 10s. I have no idea what math standards are in school, but we don't really do math instruction with her. We just keep answering her questions, and she is memorizing the facts.   I do know she is reading very well. This morning she got up before me and read at least half of one...