or Connect

Posts by ellemenope

Congrats on the new baby and the new adult!   Mom2010-- That co-op sounds like a great opportunity for your DD, congrats!   DD just turned 3.5, and we love this age.  She is so imaginative and independent.  And, not as difficult-- just sweet as can be.  She is much easier than when she just turned 3.  And, she is reading so well.  It was only November that she advanced from BOB books and the like.  All of the sudden she is fluently reading ~first/second-grade...
This sounds like pretty normal three-year-old stuff to me, all except for the not being able to entertain himself at all.  That and he might by a little behind or quirky with the social use of language, or pragmatics.  It sounds like he may be not understanding how to engage you in conversation properly. The scripting is kind of a red flag.   As far as repetition, my DD does not like it all that much either much like your DS, especially if it is designed by me, but...
I am not all that old, so maybe that is why I was potty-trained at 2.5.     DD was using her little potty (for number 1s and 2s) without prompting or suggestions and with no bribery at 19 months.   She took herself to the potty when she had to go, pulled down her pants, wiped, and pulled up her pants from the very beginning.  She has about 5 accidents the first 6 months, if that.  She was out of diaper at night before he turned 2, but was keeping them dry well before...
Maybe 17 months.  DD was using all pronouns correctly before 19 months, and so we never went through the third person referrals.  
That sounds slightly above average, but not terribly so.  Language acquisition is not linear and every child has their own curve.  Also, everyone has their strength and weaknesses.  And, there isn't anything I would do different for an "advanced" child that I would not do for an "average" child.  Meet them where they are and have fun.    My not yet 3.5-year-old is advanced in some areas-- reading at at least a kindergarten level, and a bit below average in...
I have no definitive count of words spoken at 12 months.  I want to say 17.   It was not a lot, and unremarkable.  And, then in her 18 month her spoken language exploded, and within a maybe 1.5 months, I could not count.  I estimated very early on we might be in the thousands.  I remember just counting kitchen vocabulary we were over 200.  She could say everything, and spoke in 10 word sentences regularly.  She was speaking like a mini adult by about 23 months old.  She...
Kalishanti- that is very cool.  He must be so proud!  I love the picture.  That smile!   As of a couple of weeks ago DD is officially reading books--as in reading easy (very easy) books she has never seen before to people other than DH and I with very little stumbling.  The other night she sat down between my mom and dad and read them a book she had just gotten from St. Nick (Buzz said the Bee.)  She steadily got through the entire thing, only having to sound out...
It totally depends on the the individual child.  But, I do think in general travel is going to be easier with a 2.5-year-old than a 15-month-old.  FWIW, we travel a lot and DD does as well on the road if not better than at home.     DH has also been gone for long periods of time as wells as a couple of weeks here and there, and DD has not been phased by it at all.  She is so a daddy's girl.  (She calls me daddy sometimes when we are playing.)  That being said, she is...
I thin a lot can be sad about how you display the toys and make them available.  Our almost 3.5 has an area of her room completely dedicated to imaginative play-- A small dollhouse, wooden animals, playmobil.  That is a constant, and she can spend over an hour playing there.  It never really gets cleaned up so she can just pick up where she left off.  Then we cycle out table top activities on her play table-- Legos, crayons, playdo, puzzles, a tea set with water.  Then,...
This is my favorite language tracker from The child development institute  It seems to be pretty on the mark as far as what is "typical".  Other lists are often written to screen for delays and the need for intervention.  FWIW, I have since been involved with 7 preschool activities with my DD and can say that most of the 2-3 year olds were within these ranges or pretty close.  It is normal for early development to be non-linear.  My niece had about 5 words at 24 months,...