or Connect

Posts by Yellow Brick Rd

Yes! It does feel like fighting a losing battle. And YES, for shame on those light-colored tile installers -   I had 30 min this afternoon so I enlisted my son's "help" scrubbing the floor. He's three, so his interest was gone after about 10 minutes, but that's okay. I did a quick, and by no means thorough job, of scrubbing. I'd say our floor is only about 50% cleaner than it was before I started. But, I'm committed to doing it again in a few days. I whipped through...
Thank you for your responses, Fortune Teller!   Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head -- if the cleaning method is awkward or time-consuming (like lugging a big wring-out mop around everyday), the task will just keep getting pushed to the bottom of the list (at least for me anyway :))   I am going to look into getting a Swiffer mop and doing a light cleaning each day. I guess it's easier to find 5 minutes/day than 6 hours/month, right? I need to try this...
Hello --   I'm looking for input on how often / to what extent you clean your kitchen floor --   Our kitchen door is used as our main entrance. To complicate matters, the people who lived here before us installed cream colored tile with an intricate flower inlay. So, to scrub down every tile completely, you have to use a small toothbrush to clean all the petal indentations from the tile roses -- it's really time-consuming.   I love a clean, minimalist kitchen...
I'm so in tune with what you wrote about the personal fulfillment and joy you get from being home (aka the "CEO of your family")! This is the best "job" I could imagine. I feel like I was custom-designed for this role.   And, like you, if I think too much, I sometimes dwell on the downer comments I've received about being a SAHM. I have a Ph.D. in a science-related field and I know (I just know) that in a way, I've sort of disappointed -- or at a minimum, surprised...
This thread is wonderful, thanks for starting! I also feel very blessed that I am able to be a SAHM. I have a real sense of passion about how I spend my days. I've enjoyed my previous academic and work experiences, but this is the first time that I've felt like I'm really, truly, and honestly doing something worthwhile. It makes me want to keep growing and becoming a better wife, mom, person, everything. OP, you hit the nail on the head when you said other jobs have left...
I didn't commit to a regular exercise routine until my son (my first) was about 12 months old. Sure, I was running around all day, but not really applying myself to cardio/weight and so forth. Getting back into an exercise program helped a lot (probably my confidence more than my body, but I was able to shed a few inches here and there). And I don't even do *that* much -- about a 1/2 hour of a weight-lifting DVD, or 30 minutes pilates or a 30 minute jog.   What's...
Hi Anna -- I certainly can relate to your situation. Before DS was born, I worked full-time and spent the day surrounded not only by work friends, but "in real life" friends that I could connect to over email or on the phone. A lot of my friendships seemed to cool off after DS was born. Much of the time it does feel like we're just in different worlds. Other times, when I get 30 minutes to myself, I'm pretty tired and the last thing I feel like doing is hopping on the...
  (I'll be quietly stalking this post because I, too, am looking for the same perspective).   Dejagerw, I cling to statements like this when I parents of 2+ utter them. I love the reassurance! I struggled with (looking back) mild PPD issues when DS was born 18 months ago, though at the time, I felt like I was in hell. It's been an uphill journey, and DH, DS, and I have hit a really comfortable groove. DH and I always talked about having 3 children, so now is the time...
double post
      Yes, I have experience with this -- although not DH, but a former friend of mine that I eventually drifted away from. We both worked similar academic-setting jobs for years before I made the switch to very PT work from home after my son was born. Her support for my decision to be at home "mysteriously" waxed and waned depending on her outlook on HER job. When she was having a stressful time at work, I started hearing snarky comments about how it must be "nice for...