or Connect

Posts by Narawen

I moved to MI a few months ago and haven't gotten around to returning cans (they don't have a deposit in NC, so we never did it there).  Do you just get a voucher to use them at the store where you return them, or can you get cash? Can the cans be pre-crushed to return them? They take up so much room in my apartment right now, but I have several months' worth just lying around. 
Ladies, annual enrollment at my place of employment closes on Tuesday and I need advice on choosing my healthcare.   Background: I'm a 21 yr old single female, covering only myself under whichever plan I choose. I want kids but have absolutely no plans on that happening in the next year, and when the time comes, I'd switch over to a healthcare plan that covers more before I start TTC.    My work provides 3 choices: a free PPO with high deductible and OOP...
I rent, but my apartment (with utilities, I only pay for internet directly) is about 15% of my net income. If I was able to put 20-30% down on a home, I could find a house in the local area where the payments on a 15 yr mortgage would be under 10% of my net income, but those houses are in really poor condition and the remodeling would probably cost more than the selling price of the house itself. Part of it is because I have a good salary; I'm single, just out of school...
Thanks ladies, I may just have to go up and sort through stuff when she's not around.    As for the desk and bookcase, yes they are mine (in my understanding anyway, she may view it differently).  She bought them for me as a git when my mom and I moved to our condo when I was 13. We redecorated my room last year because a 20 yr old just has different tastes and furniture needs than a 13 yr old. I would freecycle the stuff, but my mom already asked her last year about...
Hey all, I've been a lurker on this thread and have found it really helpful in my decluttering journey. This year I assigned myself the task of getting rid of 1,000 items in 2011 (I'm well on track but it's getting to be a bit of a stretch since I'm a single girl living at home with my mother. Most of my stuff is confined to 1 bed/bath with some items in the kitchen and living space).  Since I can't find 1000 to get rid of from my old house, I'm also decluttering items...
I just wanted to comment on the memory blanket. A few months ago I was purging old t-shirts. I had over 20 I never really wore (I really only wear tshirts to bed), but held a special memory because I got most of them from a special trip, or camp, or from college. I talked to my grandmother and we cut the designs out and made a t-shirt quilt. I'll be moving to a cooler climate in a few months and will a quilt will be very useful, plus it's a nice way to keep the memories...
This. Since I'm following a modified Crown/DR plan, by the time I have a FFEF, my debt should be gone as well. Once I have my FFEF, I'll start directing that money towards other savings goals, which will include things like a newer car, and a long vacation. I doubt I'll splurge more than $100 immediately after completing my EF, but I'll want to go on a long vacation, which will probably take several more months to save for. 
Quote: Originally Posted by Maiasaura You know, though-- I knew someone once, a white American person who was married to, and had children with, a person from central America. They'd lived down there for some time before moving back to the US. I was told that Hispanic people are white, that "Hispanic" is not a race. I was pretty sure it wasn't a race, but maybe there is someone here who can clarify that and tell me if that's correct or not? Aren't...
I've been working on becoming more healthy overall- cooking more at home from scratch, getting more into TF, etc. I still have a problem with getting enough veggies and fruits, so looking for advice from mamas who have maybe had to "hide" vegetables in sauces or soups for their kids. I can eat leafy salads and some raw veggies like carrot sticks or broccoli, but I don't care much for cooked veggies, except corn and potatoes. I discovered a good chicken tortilla soup...
Hi ladies, I'm looking for some basic meal planning help here. I'm a college student living on campus and graduating in December. I'll be moving back home with my mom when this semester is over and just found out I'll be living at home in the fall too instead of back on campus. I'm looking for a simple way to meal plan relatively easy and healthy meals so we can eat at home most nights instead of going out. At this point I think we only want to plan dinner, since...