or Connect

Posts by batsister

I had my first child (now 4 years old) in the middle of completing my PhD (in a science field). I finished a little over a year ago, and have been fortunate to continue as a part-time post-doc in the lab where I did my PhD. My son was with babysitters about 18-20 hours a week as I was finishing up, and we have the same arrangement now (regarding my working hours/time away from him). My husband's job is pretty demanding and often not very flexible in terms of going in...
Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply. This is helpful. I do feel that I should tell him more than one day in advance, though, since this will be my first time away from him overnight, and his daytime routine will be quite different (staying with my mom and/or brother vs. being with me and being with babysitters part-time). But it sounds like not telling him right now (over a month away from the event) is probably wise.
There are some great ideas here. My 3.5-year-old son enjoys cutting up paper with scissors, and this can keep him occupied for quite some time. Also, we save the business reply envelopes that come in junk mail, and he loves putting "stamps" (= stickers) on the corner and putting things inside and sealing them to make "mail."
I have an optional work-related trip coming up soon. While it is not required, it would be a great opportunity, and I think my 3.75-year-old son will do all right. I work part-time, so he is with me all but 18-20 hours a week. A family member to whom he is close (but who lives far away and sees him once every couple of months) will watch him during the days until my husband returns from work each evening. I would be away for 6 nights. He still sleeps with my husband and...
What about the old trick of pulling over and stopping the car until he complies?  I don't know if it would work on a 4-year-old, but that's how my mom got resistant friends of mine to keep their seatbelts on when we were kids.
Check out Bratsacks:   http://www.bratsacks.com/
We have a chain at the top of our front door, too, because my son can unlock the other two locks. I try to keep the drying bathing suits hidden from him-- otherwise he will beg, "pool, pool" incessantly. We have a small suitcase that holds some of his extra toys and also blocks his access (usually) to the (non-kid, tearable-page) books and other breakable things at the bottom of an end table. We avoid leaving knives on the kitchen table or anywhere near the edge...
Good ideas so far.  Also, what about:   -hula hoop (at this age, mainly for putting on the ground and stepping/hopping in or out) -jump rope? (also for use on the ground, and obviously with supervision) -frisbee, or better yet, aerobie or other disc with a hole for easier catching -tamborine/maracas -peek-a-boo hiding behind trees -maybe a simple ring-toss game with bing bags? -look for bugs, squirrels, birds, etc. to watch -do silly "creative movement"...
My son is 19 months old.  I am student, so he is with a sitter a few hours a week (generally not more than 4 hours at once, though).  He usually doesn't want to nurse when we out and about anymore, so even if I am with him if we are out all day, he may go 7, 8, 9 hours without nursing.  On those days, he just eats regular food and drinks water (he drinks a little, but not much cow's milk, and usually only at home).  On days we are home, he nurses more often, but he seems...
My 19-month-old does this with my belly button, including digging his little finger nails in really hard.  It hurts and drives me nuts!  In his case, I think it is part habit, part obsession with belly buttons.  (He is just obsessed with my belly button (or any belly button) in general).  I have started putting a band-aid over my belly button, and also redirecting him to play with his own (sometimes that works).  Other than that, I do what others have done and just hold...