or Connect

Posts by wami

I came across something, I think on MDC, about how gifted kids metabolize food differently. I've been noticing that my DD, age 3, is showing some signs of hypoglycemia. At the very least, she is a very hungry girl. I've, rather unconsciously, been following the Ellen Satter way of doing set meal times, but my DD lately has been complaining of hunger between meals and snack time. Could be a growth spurt, but she has always been a pretty voracious eater. She's also been...
Thank you for the comments. They are reassuring, if not a bit confusing. Should I just completely ignore growth charts?    I haven't reduced the amount of protein she is offered and, if anything, I've increased it. More (leaner) meat, nuts, legumes, etc. I have reduced the amount of fat she is offered because I don't see any increase in satiety from her; in fact, she usually wants to consume more of the fattier items because, well, they taste good!   I do think...
DD just had her birthday and well check and came in at 34 lbs. and 36 inches tall. The only thing surprising to me was her height, which was about an inch shorter than I thought it would be.    I've been concerned about DD's weight for more than a year now. She has a belly and has never had the slowdown in weight gain or appetite that I've seen described for kids over 2. She has now reversed her percentiles from when she was a year old, which she was in the 75th...
I have absolutely no advice for you, but I can commiserate. We've been potty training our almost 3-year-old for almost a year. After several weeks of wearing underwear (with some accidents, especially of the No. 2 variety) she has decided that she doesn't want to use the potty anymore. But she does like to wear the underwear. Of course I told her that she can't wear the underwear if she isn't going to use the potty. Perhaps that will be incentive enough? Who...
Wow, really? That is so disturbing. I'll share that with my DH.
That's what I think. Obviously, if it were to affect the function of his penis now or later, that's a different story. Curiously, I did a little reading about this condition and learned that it can cause a curve in the penis when erect. My DH may not appreciate me revealing this, but he has a slightly curved penis, and now I wonder if it may be genetic. Anyway, DH's penis works just fine. My DH is circumcized and I'm not sure about asking my MIL about my DH's penis...
We have a three-week old DS whose foreskin didn't cover the tip of his penis when he was born. The pediatrician called it a "natural" circumcision (I know, oxymoronic, but I use the term in case others are familiar of what I'm talking about) and said we should have a pediatric urologist look at it to make sure that his urethra is in the right place. I've seen my son pee, and it comes out where I think it should come out. Since birth, the foreskin now covers all but the...
I had a sweep done on my due date with my DD. I was 1 cm dilated and 90 percent effaced and had been since 36 weeks. I decided to do it because the last month of my pregnancy was miserable -- DD had dropped and was so low I had severe rectal pressure for several weeks. I was working and didn't want to waste any sick time before my mostly unpaid maternity leave. It wasn't comfortable, but it was all pretty minor compared to the pain of labor! I immediately had cramping,...
Honestly, it sounds like your DD eats just fine. Similar to some previous posters, we only feed our DD food that we feel good about her eating. We also have set meal times and set snack times. I don't make special plates. Basically my philosophy is that it's my job to decide what food is made available to her and it's her job to decide what she's going to eat and how much of it. Certainly, if DD snarfs down her bread and then asks for more bread before touching her veggies...
I had a large chest from an early age. Full disclosure: I had a breast reduction when I was 21 because of the physical pain I endured due to my large breasts. I think it's fantastic that you took her to get a proper bra fitting. I know now, post-surgery, that I was completely wearing the wrong size bra growing up which no doubt added to my pain. There is a British company called Bravissimo that specializes in large bra sizes and clothing for curvy women. The...