or Connect

Posts by Wild Lupine

My XH doesn't complain to my face, but I know he complains to his friends and family. He also pays about 1/3 of his income. I don't want to say any more in a public forum but he was dishonest with me about money throughout our marriage and has been - and is continuing to be - deceptive with other people, too. He's voluntarily under employed and mismanages what money he does have.    Child support is the only, only thing he is being held accountable for. Some people just...
I did a 30 day trial of YNAB and really liked it. I just bought the full version. Thanks for the recommendations!
I can really relate to that stuck feeling, too. I wanted to leave for years and it took me a long time to figure out how to finance a move. My divorce was just finalized last month and I moved at that time, too, so this is all very recent. I don't have much money, but I get by, barely.   It sounds like you will qualify for child support and spousal support. The spousal support may be temporary to get you on your feet, but if you have been a SAHM 100% and haven't been...
Thanks, Annlea. I have had the talk with her, my 7 yo has even tried to explain in a very respectful way things that she is uncomfortable with. My mother just doesn't get it. I don't think she wants to be mean, she just doesn't get that her warmth does not come through. It was very similar when I was a child, so it is hard for me seeing the same things happen with my own children.   My mother tends to be better with older children, so maybe I just need to hang in there...
I'm really not sure where to post this, so if it needs to be moved, go ahead.   My mother really wants a closer relationship with my children and I am not sure how to help her with that. She does a lot of things to sabotage her relationship with them but simply cannot see that.   She constantly complains that they are disrespectful to her, and they can be sometimes, but more often it is she that is disrespectful to them first, and they're just being frustrated in a...
If you need to be convinced I can give you an argument: the child support is to make sure your child has a standard of living that is equitable to any future children you or your XH might have. It is unconscionable that a child's father is basically in the top one percent of the country income-wise, yet the child is living in a household that has increasing debt and can barely afford childcare.    If your XH was emotionally abusive it is probably very hard to think of...
I'm going to try the free trial. I am setting up a new household this weekend, with a new bank account and everything, so it is a perfect time start something like this.    I don't have fancy things like a mortgage (not anymore anyway  ) so I don't need that kind of tracking.
Snakes, cigarettes, and guns.   Snakes, because I'm terrified of them, even the harmless small ones. (No exceptions. Toy snakes aren't allowed, either.)   Cigarettes because they're bad for breathing, and breathing is very important. (Exceptions made for visitors who have a package of cigarettes in their purse as long as they don't take them out.)   Guns because I have no personal use for them and according to statistics my house is much safer without them than with...
I'm looking for recommendations. I want something that is easy to use and allows me to track income and expenditures in different categories. It doesn't need to be free, but it cannot be too expensive. I am familiar with Quicken, but before I buy it I want to get an idea what else is out there.
 Seekingpeace1, You might get a few more responses if you start a new thread. This is a really tough time; leaving is always hard, but leaving an abusive partner is especially tricky. If cooperating while married didn't work, cooperating about separating is definitely not going to work. You need to develop a plan, practically, financially, both short and long term. If you tell us about your circumstances, you child(ren)'s ages, if you have friends and family nearby, if you...