or Connect

Posts by Summersquash

That is a very tough age for play!  We did a lot of water play - just filling up small containers with 1/2 inch of water, getting out sponges and letting her pour/mix/sponge as she wanted.  (put old rags down on the floor first)   My little DD was starting to get interested in basketball around that age, so we bought a small hoop (like the kind used in swimming pools) and let her "dunk" small balls in it.     How about drawing with markers or crayons?  Play...
DD only gets about 9 hours.  She is usually asleep by 10 and up around 7.  She still naps a couple of hours in the afternoons.  I'm sure I could get her to bed earlier if I encouraged her to drop the nap, but she really seems to still need it.  I also worry that she isn't getting enough sleep, but if I try to put her to bed earlier it just doesn't work and she rolls around, nurses, rolls around, etc. 
I hope he feels better, poor little guy.     The cool air really helps.  Not so easy in the summer, but when DD would wake up coughing in the night I would wrap her in her fleece blanket and stand outside on our front porch in the cool air, rocking her.  We put a humidifier in her room.     It can be difficult because they get so nervous when they are having a hard time breathing...but try to keep him as calm as you can.  When DD got really upset and freaked out...
I found out yesterday...it is a BOY!  Everyone kept telling me they thought it was a boy...and they were right!  We are happy and excited.     Not much of my girl stuff will work for him though...so there is a lot to figure out!
Not terrible or anything, just silly...   After a recent long drive in the car, I was speaking with my mother on the phone.    Her: How did the trip go? Me: Oh, it was fine, except that DD and I both seemed to feel a little nauseous in the back seat for some reason. Her: That's because she is still REAR facing!  It's time you turned her around.   Because alleviating a little minor nausea on one of numerous car trips we have taken is more important than...
My aunt's spring vegetable pasta is delicious.  Basically, saute a few chopped leeks in olive oil, then add sliced yellow peppers, peapods, cut up asparagus, or whatever other fresh vegetables you like and let them cook until they are just slightly done.  Add about 1/2 cup of white cooking wine as the veggies begin to soften and let that reduce.  Boil linguine and drain, returning linguine to pot.  Add vegetable mixture and sauce it was cooked in.  Then squeeze fresh...
You also might want to check out Arlington.  GREAT farmer's markets multiple times a week (and a monthly arts and crafts fair), public transit all over the place, and as of this week just getting a bikeshare program.  There is a very cool set of multiuse trails that connect different parts of the county that is very widely used to commute, exercise, etc. Housing costs are kind of all over the board - but there are some affordable parts.  Being so close in has lots of...
Along the same lines...crying in her sleep.  She's only 2!  She shouldn't have to be sad in her dreams!!!
DD (28 months) is VERY cautious on our wooden stairs.  She still holds my hand to go down, using the other hand to hold the railing.  She climbs up on her own but will only do it if I am behind her.   We still have our gates up- although she is so cautious I am worried about her waking up at night, getting out of her bed, and falling down them.  Which has NEVER happened, she just calls out for me at night when she wakes up...but I guess I am cautious about the...
39 weeks, 5 days for me.