or Connect

Posts by Greenmama2

My eldest learns aurally. She was slightly echolalic as a toddler which I think goes a long way to explain her precociously early, clear speech. At nearly seven she still learns best by listening. Listening to read alouds, audio books, lectures and watching videos (it's the commentary, not the visuals that stick instantly). She enjoys reading but she remembers what she reads far better if she reads it aloud. Better still of someone reads it to her. She has excellent pitch...
Yes, she did. After trying a 1/4 in her lesson it was obvious that a 1/8 wouldn't last long so we borrowed the 1/4 for a week to be certain. It's all fine now
She is fine now after two weeks. She borrowed a 1/4 from her teacher before we decided but I think it was perhaps it was a little lighter than the one we ended up buying and yes, she started on a 1/16 & moved to a 1/10 at almost five. We also bought a new shoulder rest but her teacher felt it wasn't deep enough for her shoulder so she is back to her old one. As for her size, she dances & is currently taking extra classes with 9 turning 10 year olds with no noticeable...
Ooh, I'm glad this thread has been resurrected. My 6 year old has just jumped up to a 1/4 size violin & is working through the minuets in book 1. Her progress is slow as she gets used to her new fiddle & we are keeping her practice sessions very short at the moment. My three year old has just started Suzuki piano. He likes it but isn't too enthused about practicing yet.
Congratulations to your boy dessismama!
Not Summer, but Winter here. DD just turned 6 and is finally reading by my definition - actually reading anything she wants. Not particularly late but this is a child who recognised every letter of the alphabet long before she was two and around 20 odd sight words by 2.5. I spent a lot of time worrying about her vision and wondering why it just wasn't coming together for her. Now she's doing it so yay . A few weeks after her birthday she did her first ballet exam and loved...
Madeleine is quite sweet.
LOL, I said at exactly 10pm tonight; "I will NOT talk anymore.". In response to what was actually a very interesting hypothesis she had about combustion.The PP who mentioned sufficient mental activity during the day is echoing our experience. Today we spent all day at the pool. Glorious Summer day (rare at our altitude), heaps of physical activity and DD was exhausted but not much mental activity. So she had a tonne of talking to do from the time we got home until she fell...
DD was 2.5 when she started ballet 3 years ago :joy Nice to have another mini-ballerina to read about. Her teacher made noises about her learning the Cygnet pas de quatre from Swan Lake this year. I haven't mentioned it to DD because she would be devastated if it doesn't eventuate.We are on Summer holidays. Ridiculous because we unschool and you know, learning happens all the time. It's true though; ballet, drama, violin and science club are all on a break until early Feb...