or Connect

Posts by Serenity Now

I was referring to this post, where you said diagnostic criteria had not changed. It has. And as far as actual autism diagnosis and the autism community goes, there is no such thing as "regressive" autism as something different than autism. Many children with autism lose words or skills. My son is constantly doing things and regressing all the time. That is very common with kids with autism. My son was talking at a year, and stopped talking by 13 months. I'm sure someone...
You said the criteria has not changed. It did change in 2013, including removing Aspergers from the diagnosis.   I have a child with severe autism, and another with mild autism. I know the criteria very well.   Oh, and kids can be diagnosed before age 2. My child with severe autism was diagnosed at 18 months, but started showing signs (and got the referrals) at 15 months.
Taxi, diagnostic criteria has changed drastically. The new DSM dramatically changed the diagnostic criteria, and has been hotly debated in the autism and scientific community.
I was talking about C-sections before threads were hosted. I remember when the c-section threads (I have been around longer than my username, maybe I'm thinking about 2000 or 2001, but I thought it was more like 2002 or 2003) were allowed to have a weekly thread, and it was because every time someone posted about needing a c-section they were told they didn't need it, and it devolved from there. I also personally read the threads about death or complications that were...
What if those discussions went to birth and beyond? They need to happen, because I don't think moms are getting the full picture. You cannot make an informed decision without all the data. All home birth forums on the internet only talk about how safe it is. No one, anywhere that I am aware of, on the internet is able to talk to moms who want a home birth about the real benefits, and the real risks - both discussions. Non-home birth forums don't recognize any benefits, but...
Vital statistics are recorded in a variety of ways. Birth certificates are one subset of the full vital statistics that are recorded at a birth, and the CDC data comes from that. I'm not sure how midwives record the data, but hospitals have an extensive data set they must complete at every birth. Part of that is recorded in the birth certificates that are sent to the state. The full data set is sent to the CDC. A lot of studies are based on CDC data, and it is generally...
Cheney is also making a mistake, because this study did not use birth certificate data, it used CDC data, which is very comprehensive and reliable.
One of the problems with that is defining risk. Also, in birth you are low risk until you are suddenly not, because things can change very quickly in labor, even for women who have been low risk their entire pregnancy. Would they be taken out of the low risk category then? Or are women considered low risk if their pregnancy goes well? Does that mean there should be regulations against VBAC, multiples, breech, etc at home? Midwives are clearly accepting high risk patients...
That wasn't my point. My point is, that I just cannot support a womans right to choose her birth experience carte blanche. I have limits, and those lines are drawn by risk to the infant. If homebirth increases the risk of death greatly, then can I support homebirth? It's my understanding that the original article said that homebirth is as good of choice as birth in the hospital, even with the 3 times greater risk of death. How did they come up with that? I guess they...
I saw that this week. I'm not sure how the authors came to the conclusions they did, given their own data. Aren't all of the studies they reference out of the US, also? Midwives in most of those countries have different education, training, legal requirements, and populations, than the US does. How do those studies extrapolate to Arizona?