or Connect

Posts by kbins

I was responding to the OP's comment that the pediatrician changed the med to Adderall and recommended it be taken with applesauce. Adderall XR is beads.   We saw significantly different side effects with the Focalin XR versus the Adderall XR for my older son. He had a huge emotional crash most afternoons on the Focalin (sobbing, sadness he NEVER had before) and nothing like it at all on the Adderall.   You won't necessarily see the same effects on a new medicine...
the reason the pediatrician said mix with applesauce or yogurt because some kids can't swallow the capsule whole. If the little beads inside are chewed/crushed, the extended release is destroyed. My oldest DS takes Adderall XR and we had to open the capsule/sprinkle for months before he could safely swallow the capsules. (We practiced with empty ones for awhile).   Regarding the medication trials: Some kids have a more complex chemistry and the meds won't work as...
DS#2 was right around 2 when we had a sleep study done for sleep apnea. He is also ASD, we didn't know it at the time, just knew he never stayed asleep and was always on sensory overload, among other things.   We don't cosleep, but I also was concerned on how they would get him wired up and tested. We had the test done at the Children's Hospital, so they at least had experience with little kids. We just kept him awake really late, I think they had us check in around...
My PDD-NOS son is on a few daily medications for allergies/asthma and so we went into ADHD medications for him with some concern about putting too many pharmaceuticals into him. However, we see the SIGNIFICANT difference it has made for my oldest son - truly night and day for his ability to focus, hold a conversation and participate appropriately in school. It really helped balance out his brain chemistry. So when school was starting to get to be a challenge beyond just...
http://www.americanmedical-id.com/   We liked these because we could personalize them with the child's name, phone and other info besides the allergies. However, the laser engraving wore off fairly quickly. They replaced them free once, under warranty. But when it wore off again (less than a year), we went with MedicAlert brand.   For an overseas trip, the American Medical ID would probably be a better choice, since the parents can put their contact info. It's...
it is STUNNING to me that salespeople still do this in 2011. Especially for a minivan. I have had a similar experience twice, buying my Sienna and buying my Sequoia. They asked if my DH needed to come in and approve. I said, no, it was my car and only me on the title. (also paying cash which they didn't like but that's another story).
We have an 05 Sienna XLE and a 06 Sienna LE, both with 70k miles. Generally very happy with them.   What is your car seat situation? Do you require LATCH in the 3rd row? For 2011, Sienna took out one of the LATCH positions in 3rd row. For us, that makes the 2011 unacceptable since all 4 of my kids are in tethered seats. The 2011 Odyssey also has something not OK for me - you can't put the two captain's chairs next to one another with a side aisle, only possible...
My DD was doing this with her Graco carseat at around 18 months. The buckles on the Graco chest clips are super easy for them to open. I had to switch her seat. I have her in a Britax since that's what we have for the boys and consistency in installation is a strong consideration. (This was before the 'toxic carseats' thing came out) She can't unclip the Britax.   I'd take her to BabiesRUs or whatever and see which seats she can't unclip.
Pflugerville - OT Connection. HIghly recommend. All they do is kids stuff, sensory is a specialty. (they also do speech there) They have 2 great gyms plus individual therapy rooms. Outstanding staff. Check it out before you dismiss the distance (not sure where in Austin you are). We have 4+ years of OT and speech under our belt and learned the hard way that convenient didn't always equal quality.   I do think they take UHC now (they didn't awhile ago but got on...
No. DS#2 was a difficult baby, but we didn't know the extent of his challenges when I got pregnant with #3. DS#3 is such a blessing, he was an easy, happy baby and been quick to learn and develop. It was a positive offset to the challenges we were facing with DS#2. When we decided on one more, even though we knew there was some risk of having another SN child, we also knew there was a chance we would NOT have one (since DS#3 was just fine). Our DD is an absolute delight,...