or Connect

Posts by JL83

Quote: Originally Posted by MommaMoo Yes, our situation is a lot like yours. I felt like, "How could I leave my child when he needs me?" But he didn't need me. He hardly ever looked at me while I was in class and had a blast. He handled himself fine in a variety of situations. Our family learned lots of lessons from this incident. Now I can clearly see that DS had gotten used to me not meaning to follow through with what I say, like on the second day...
Quote: Originally Posted by rabrog Full day K is absolutely not daycare. DD did full day K last year and was going from 8:15 to 2:45. They did library, music (once a week with the music teacher and every day in regular class), had reading time (both group for comprehension and on their own for learning to read), a short snack time in the morning, lunch, recess, art, math, social studies...they were doing something or learning the entire...
With my son, we tried going slowly. We really did. He had to go to daycare when he was 3 and we tried to make it a gentle transition. It really made it so much worse. He really like daycare, but he liked it so much better when I was there too. It was like his perfect world. Fun activities, lots of playmates and his mom! What else could he want... After trying for 3 weeks to stay with him and then leave with him always having complete meltdowns, I finally...
I don't think it's a problem when kids use those words. Our rule is that you can't swear at people just like you can't name call.
We had a breakthrough after I read Playful Parenting... I think alot of that book goes WAY overboard. But there was 1 thing that stuck out to me. He talks about how grown ups "play" by talking while little kids play by playing. Explaining that to my kids has made a really big positive change in the "Stop talking" phase. I've been through that phase twice now and I expect to go through it again. We simply remind them that mommy and daddy are playing with each...
I've gotten a few advances. With each of them (at 2 different companies) my next paycheck was just less that amount. So when I asked for $500 for a security deposit for an apartment, my next paycheck was $X-$500. I think it's really nice when a company can help their employees out.
It depends on how strongly they don't like it... If it's going to be a huge fight to go every time and the kid is going to be miserable, we let them quit. If it's just that they don't like it and they are depended on, like soccer or group dancing, then they finish out the natural course. If it's totally an individual activity then as long a decent chance has been given the kid can stop.
I'm having a hard time with 2 parts of your post. 1) Letting your DD become so frustrated that she exploded. I find it really useful to intervene before that happens. I generally tell the kid directly to knock it off. I will even follow that up with a "do we need to talk to your mom about this?". 2) You let your DD scream at another kid. 2 wrongs don't make a right. We've always made it clear to our kids that they are allowed to feel however they want. But...
Quote: Originally Posted by aeiou With marathons, you are training yourself as opposed to someone training you. You wouldn't say that someone was training you for a marathon, you'd say, "I'm training." I don't remember where I read it, but someone compared learning to use the toilet to learning to talk. You don't "train" your child to talk, they just learn. You help them and provide ways for them to practice or learn more, but you aren't specifically...
Quote: Originally Posted by eclipse I just don't like the word "training" when it comes to parenting. What about the word "training" with respect to marathons? It's just a word.