or Connect

Posts by JL83

Before she comes, I would set limits. Tell her that she is not to hit or mention hitting her children in front of yours. And if she needs to hit them, it must be done outside of vision or ear shot from your children. And that your children are not to see a child who is sad or crying because they've been hit. I would tell her that if she crosses those lines they will have to leave immediately. Personally, I would not be friends with someone who thinks it's OK for an...
Quote: Originally Posted by wondertwins Well, according to the OP's earlier posts, her DS's birthday is just a few days before Christmas and her family has been extended by remarriage, so everyone is going in different directions during the holidays. I don't understand this argument. We all get a different lot in life. Some people have birthdays that happen at "easier" times of the year, and other people don't. I had a birthday in the middle...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamadelbosque I think its clear that if the student is supposed to be walking to/from pratice/games thats one thing. If their supposed to be picked up (cause' you know, they live on the other side of town, or out of town, or whatever) and they are *NOT* then they *CAN NOT* just be left to fend for themselves for the next 5 or 10 or 30 or 90 minutes till someone shows up. Kids can walk to and from school, yes. They can't just...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kristine233 This summer we are coaching little league and my son plays. This meant that our youngest daughter couldn't play girls little league because we couldn't be there for her and we don't think its responsible to just drop her off, she's 7. So, your middle DD doesn't get to play a sport because both you and your husband want to coach your son? That seems really unfair. Maybe she'd rather be dropped off...
Quote: Originally Posted by newbymom05 I would do the clip-on if I had to--I'm not a fan of jewelry on young children of either sex. I guess it depends on your area--where I am, I've never seen a boy younger than high school age with an earring, and earrings for boys and nose rings for both sexes are violations of our elementary/middle school dress code. How can they possibly justify having different rules for boys and girls? Who cares if a...
Quote: Originally Posted by jeanine123 It should be the kind of rule that makes people stop and take a good, hard look at the crazy, over-scheduled lifestyle they're leading that prevents them from supporting their children with their presence at sporting and other events. Being at every practice is overboard though IMO (assuming the practices are separate from the games, not right before the game as is the case in the OP's scenario). But really,...
I think your brother is being unreasonable. It's not his job to stay with the kid. I've been a coach for youth soccer for many many years. It's his job to take care of the kid for a specific time period (in my case, I always said that I would stay for 10 minutes after the end of the game/practice). Then he releases the kid, unless the family makes other arrangements. I had MANY kids that age walk or bike to games or practices on their own. At the end of the game...
My DD is 3.5mo. She is very sensitive to any gluten in my diet. Even small amounts will cause her to have "colic" for 2 days after. So, I'm doing my best to eat gluten free. (And I'm mostly successful). On the few occasions I have some (like I was served a salad with croutons and thought it would be OK to just eat the lettuce and leave the croutons behind, but I guess enough had dissolved into the dressing), she has serious stomach pain, is VERY gassy and will have...
This discussion seems so bizarre to me. If you browse the various forums on this board and someone posts about how their 1/2/3/10yo is having meltdowns, the first suggestion is to make sure the kid has more snacks. "Is he hungry?" people ask. I've seen suggestions to have snacks waiting in the car when picking kids up from school so they can eat on the drive home. And yet, when the "mainstream" world want to have snack available, that's suddenly a "bad"...
Quote: Originally Posted by AndrewsMother I don't have a problem with DS sharing what is on his mind, but I am concerned that he thinks that it is acceptable to integrate these situations into play and everyday life. We can talk all day about what is on his mind, but I will not allow him to pretend violent play. I have not turned a cold shoulder to my son, or forced him into silence. If DS witnessed a violent incident or watched graphic shows on...