or Connect

Posts by JL83

I wonder if you coming at lunch time for awhile has set up a bad pattern. And then when you stopped it was really hard on your DD. I think you need to make some choices about what you want. If you want your DD in full day care, then you need to just do that. Although, I probably wouldn't continue at that school unless they have a very good explanation for what happened and are able to resolve it to your satisfaction.
OP: Is there a reason you didn't point out to the teen that there were little kids around and ask if maybe they could watch that some other time?
Due to extenuating circumstances, my DD spent her first overnight with my in-laws (they're the good grandparents in our family) at just over 2. She was still waking up every 2 hours at home and nursing all night long. But we'd had a traumatic pregnancy loss and my DD was still waking up at least every 2 hours so we desperately needed a break of some sort. Well... She woke up once at 4am and went right back to sleep. She had a blast. I thought it was going to be...
There's no reason why you can't do Europe or Asia with kids. My parents never stopped taking interesting vacations after they had kids. They simply changed how they did it. We'd go to Europe and they'd rent a condo for a week in each place. It was normally the same price as a similar hotel room, but it would have 2 bedrooms, a living room and a kitchen. It was a great place to have downtime and cook our own food.
Quote: Originally Posted by rachelsmama While extended rear facing may work for your family, it's not really a good idea to pretend there aren't any cases where it doesn't work. Since all babies start out RFing, there really isn't such a thing as RFing not working. Some people try to justify it by saying it wasn't safe to drive with their kid screaming. My DD1 wasn't 20lbs until almost 20 months. So we didn't get the "choice" to turn her...
Quote: Originally Posted by rachelsmama It all comes down to a risk/benefit analysis. Driver distraction puts everybody at risk. I'm glad you're comfortable with your decisions, I'm certainly comfortable with mine. While it might have worked out well for your family, it's not really a good idea to suggest turning kids around early. It's like recommending formula or bottles because your kid didn't have any health issues or nipple confusion. ...
I don't think that candy is evil or bad or even that unhealthy. I think it's perfectly fine to have it in moderation. We limit the amount that comes into the house, and then let her go crazy. What happens every holiday is that she eats nothing but junk for a couple days, and then she starts to forget about it. If I make it into a power struggle by disapproving or trying to limit it at all, she obsesses about it. I like the way it works. She's now done...
My DD1 cried every time I wanted to take a shower and that made me cry and panic. So I bought a water sling (mesh ring sling). We had a great time having a shower together every single morning. So I fully support that advice. Also, go out every day. I made a "commitment" for every single morning and that kept me sane. There was somewhere I had to be by 10am every day. It made for a nice transition from being a working woman to a SAHM. I joined 2 mom's groups,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Auntie Sapphire You could bring a thermos of hot herbal or fruit tea for him to warm up with, instead of buying the hot chocolate. My parents always picked me up outside the pool doors. Some of the other kids got the hot chocolate, the rest of us hurried for the warm showers to warm up. (I live in Canada where my hair would freeze into "ice dreads" while I waited outside in the winter for my parents to pick me up.)
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan Cause and effect doesn't work that way. Breastmilk is sweet so that babies will want it. Trust me, if you're craving sugar, breastmilk doesn't work (it was obvious from a tiny taste). It's lactose not sucrose. Actually, breastmilk is sweet for good brain growth. Just like cow milk is full of protein to grow big cows quickly, and seal milk is almost pure fat so that baby seals don't freeze to death,...