or Connect

Posts by homemademomma

I just wanted to testify to this. We get an insane, almost embarrassing discount at WF because my husband has a "good" BMI,  a healthy cholesterol level and he is a nonsmoker. It is cheaper for me to buy some products at WF than it is for me to get them WHOLESALE from my mom's small health food store.I don't really know what to think of it-- certainly I like the idea of encouraging healthy employees, but I do NOT like judging health based upon BMI. Not cool.   Besides...
Meemee, I just wanted to make sure you knew that semolina/couscous is plain old durum wheat. What do you mean when you say "pure wheat?"          Just quoting because I like your name :)     Of course my life would be turned upside down if we didn't have grocery stores! For one thing my husband works for WF so he would be out of a job! I shop almost exclusively at WF (we get a phenomenal discount) and our local co-op (very expensive, but some great local stuff). We have...
When I was your daughter's age, I took books to school and read when I finished before the other students. Is that an option? It won't get boring and it will give her something enriching and fun to do, with virtually endless variety. Or how about something simple like paper and colored pencils? I think if your dd is finishing early, she should be allowed to do something "fun" with the extra time, as long as it is enriching and appropriate for the school...
I have little advice, but I went through the same thing. I always thought I would SAH and homeschool. I was amazed at home unfulfilling and mind numbing I found SAH to be. I am lucky in that my husband and I switch off a lot, so I was able to experience the great parts of SAH while still getting grown up time outside the house. I have an incredibly difficult 8 year old, so I hear you on that as well.      Can you work part time? 
  Wow. That is a bold statement. I personally know surrogates who are very well off. In fact, it is because they are well off that they can afford to do a surrogacy, either because they have a flexible job or don't have to work at all. Most agencies require that surrogates not be receiving any sort of government assistance as well. Yes, there are IPs who take advantage of poor women and there are surrogates who take advantage of desperate IPs. But that is not the...
Agree completely. There is a reason teachers need a master's degree- it is not necessarily because the subject they are teaching is difficult, but because TEACHING is difficult!  I am a very academic person- I do very well in school. But I am NOT a good teacher unless we are doing something hands on. I have not the slightest clue how I would go about teaching algebra to a kid.     
She's only five, but I do think the temp might just be her new normal. At least I hope so! 
She doesn't technically have a fever- it is generally just about 99.2 or so. It is only concerning because her baseline was 97-98 until a month or so ago. I try to think of it like she has a 70% chance of not getting leukemia, instead of the other way around! My daughter gets IVIG as well. She has a very serious immune deficiency. I absolutely will not keep her home from school though. Her IVIG keeps her very healthy, and I am a huge believer in out of home schooling, if...
Libertarian, I just want to say that you seem like you are relying heavily on your husband to provide "midwife" services. If you want to him to take an emergency birth class, monitor you and know when/if to start an IV,administer meds and/or suture you- well, that is asking a lot if he is not totally on board. Counting contractions is the least of it. What if he thinks you need an IV or pitocin and you disagree? Are you going to defer to him because of his...
We see an oncologist regularly. I just feel like I am always over analyzing dd's symptoms, and I never know if I should be concerned or not. I mean, her symptoms are really vague and if it was cancer she would be way sicker, right????????