or Connect

Posts by aprildawn

Quote: Originally Posted by Viola I feel a bit stressed about what I put as my Facebook status update, and feel like I have to really play it neutrally so for as my Facebook to be almost meaningless. But then, it kind of reflects who I am, since I have friends on both sides of issues, and I'm always trying to meet people in a common place. Me too!! I come from a pretty conservative Christian upbringing, and my dad is a pastor. People have...
What a fun thread! I also love making cakes. It's a relatively new hobby, and a lot of fun. Usually I make marshmallow fondant. Lately I've been making cupcakes more often and experimenting with different flavors and recipes for cake. Here's an album of some of my cakes. http://picasaweb.google.com/aprilkar...eat=directlink OP: Your cakes look great!
I was so frustrated with my weight until a few months ago. Two things I've done differently. 1) I upped my exercise. Used to just walk 5-6x/week for 40-60 min depending on how much time I had. (2.5-4 miles). This summer it was over 100* most of the summer, and I had to get up at 5:30 just to have time to go before DH went to work and it go too hot. I started doing the 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels of the Biggest Loser. Let me tell you, it's a 20 minute workout that...
Yeah. I also think it was a hunger issue. The 2nd week of school my second grader came home from a long day -- school from 8-2:30, then to a friend's for 30 minutes before going to an after school activity for an hour. When I got her home that evening she was acting nuts. Her dad came home and she was talking to him so fast he couldn't even understand her. It was crazy. She hadn't eaten since lunch despite me offering her a snack before her after school class. She also...
Quote: Originally Posted by m_and_m Yup, she'll let you "delay" until age 2. After that you're on your own though. I don't know if she wants her patients to get the full gamut as rec'd by CDC, but I have several friends who took their LO's to her and got kicked out recently. I suspect there is something else going on as well because she was... different... around that same time. Not her usual compassionate self, so maybe it's an insurance thing? Not...
Quote: Originally Posted by m_and_m I also really like Dr Eady (she's my Dr, DH's Dr, and my mom's Dr) but she is firing all of her non-vaxers. Really? I was just there Wed with both my girls. My youngest is pretty far behind because I stopped all vaxes after a bad reaction to MMR. We discussed the pros and cons of getting further vaxes as well as which ones are most important, etc. She didn't mention anything about firing us if I refuse any...
A good friend of mine uses L&L. She integrated most of the book/seminars. I always felt like the "uh-oh" was somewhat mocking whenever I hear her do it. Also, I feel like letting kids mess up and experience the consequences can be fine in some situations, but, when they're really little, or flighty-brained (like my DD1), I feel like it sets them up for failure. I will say, however, that for my friend L&L was a huge improvement from how she was parented. She's doing the...
Quote: Originally Posted by esaharris New to clotheslines gal here -- eager to try as I'm on a year-long project to live a more self-sufficient life. But the dose of reality: I live in the North Carolina piedmont region and it's so darn humid for most of the summer, so much so that I fear the clothes will mold or become dank rather than dry, even in the sun. Am I being a wimp? They'd do fine. I hang mine all year and it's humid here! (We live in...
I had a biter. It was horrible. She bit until she was 4. Every once in awhile she still expresses her anger by biting clothes, but she doesn't bite people anymore. You're doing the right thing. Shadow her. Try to remove her from situations where she's likely to bite someone. And, yes, your job will be to stick by her and prevent her from biting someone even if that means you miss out on adult interaction. The people who are telling you she'll be messed up for life...
I don't recommend him for a normal pregnancy, but Christopher Seeker is a super OB for high risk mamas. I have several friends who have seen him. They all love him and his staff. Most recently a friend of mine had a baby with spina bifida. He was wonderful. No recs for a daycare from me. But if you want to consider the nanny route, I have a friend who just started her own business providing in-home childcare. http://www.utimes2.com/