or Connect

Posts by thehighernest

You do not need to apologize , but I assure you it's a school with AMI certification; however, they make it absolutely clear that their toddler program does not fall under the AMI umbrella. This was actually a perfect fit for me, as my one big issue with Montessori (my opinion) is that the children do not play, in the very sense of the word, enough.   In fact, the school recently reported, and I quote: "Our governing body, Association Montessori International, recently...
This is our first year in the 3-6 classroom, so it's a new experience for us; I wish I had more details to share to give you a comparison (so I'm afraid I'm not being very helpful here: sorry!). But I did want to say that, at the beginning of the year, our main teacher explicitly said that her main goal is to fit in as many individual lessons in a day as she can. Not rushed, of course. But she said her job is to manage her time as efficiently as possible while providing...
I would call my son an observer also, and he just happened to spend the first 3-4 weeks of school doing nothing but drawing also. Guess what? He's over it now. LOL.   He's moved on to working a bit more diligently now and is varying more of his lessons, but his teacher told me that he still prefers one particular lesson at the moment, which is the one where they open and close jars.   I think this is probably just normal and seems to line up with the idea of...
We got to an AMI certified school, but I think the toddler 2-3 year room is the exception. All the 3+ main teachers are certified, but only some of the assistants are.
For us, it seems much more valuable in the current 3-6 class/group, but as we were looking for a new school the previous year and we didn't have to make too many changes, it made sense to just start him there in the 2-3 class and leave him there until K.   As it turned out, our school already had three completely developed 3-6 classrooms, but decided to open a fourth, where all the kids were just 3 years old and would become the foundation for that room. My son was only...
Amia, I completely connected with your question "and why we shouldn't expect to share some of the joy?"   I'm always torn about this issue. When I've discussed it a few times with other Montessori parents, the contrasting viewpoint seems to be "don't you trust his teachers?" And I do! My desire to know what happens in the classroom has never really been about feeling like something bad was being kept secret from me or that I was being kept in the dark on purpose. It...
This is the same with DS on weekends, when he's home with us and does not nap.   At preschool this year, he's napping again (he had sort of dropped them at the end of last year), and when he does, he goes to the nap room around 12:30 and they wake him up around 2, though there is no guarantee that he falls asleep right away, so not sure how long he naps on those days but no longer than an hour and half clearly. On days he has napped, he is likely to not fall asleep until...
I'm so glad you posted this. I should have added that our school also has a Facebook page, the teacher sends out a monthly newsletter, and we have parent nights all throughout October to work hands on with the material our kids are using. Alas, we do not get the daily sheet: I would KILL for that, lol, because my 3 1/2 DS never tells me anything! I hate hearing that some parents never even look at theirs.   Edited to add that on Fridays, we also get a folder containing...
Are you just trying to get an idea of what goes on in toddler Montessori room? I can share our experience last year. The 2-3 year old room was not 100% Montessori (though the rest of the school is an AMI school). This means that there were traditional Montessori materials -- but also a small handful of toys and puzzles (like Melissa and Doug types, etc.). Some toys would only come out on Fridays, but others would be available all week (like say the dollhouse). The...
This is the same at our school. In the toddler room, there aren't even conferences. In the 3-6 rooms, there are two conferences a year (and you can set up an observation). Of course, you can call and speak with the teacher as much as you like (they are there for one hour after school hours) - if that means you want to call every week, you can call every week, and ours is happy to speak with me as often as I'd like, but as a norm, you do not hear anything from then unless...