or Connect

Posts by waterproofmascara

Quote: Originally Posted by karne OT from the original post, but this is brilliant. My middle schooler has been struggling a lot with the multiple folders-one or more is always lost or forgotten, which amounts to disaster at homework time. I love the idea of putting them all in one large binder together! Thank you! This is one of the best ideas I have ever come up with. My teaching team has actually made this a requirement for our students....
As a middle school teacher I can tell you that this is typical behavior for boys at his age. Talk to (or even better- meet with) his teachers- they will be your best resource. They know best how to deal with him according to his personality and study habits. And they will be more willing to help him and allow makeup work if they know you are behind them. Things I have suggested in the past that worked included: *a parent sitting down at an agreed time at an agreed...
This won't be helpful, but it will make you chuckle. When my daughter was that age she wanted to keep her name but change the spelling. As in, my name is Lisa but you spell it P-A-M. Try explaining how no one will understand that to a 5 year old.
Our dd's sound like they are cut from the same cloth. My dd, who turned 8 in December, does see her father, but he has very little emotional attachment to her and she is well aware of that. She told me that she feels like a stranger at his house and has been coming up with ways to avoid visitation. I have been supportive of that, because she seems to do better with less visits and her dad really couldn't care less if she is there or not. She has HUGE meltdowns with...
My dd is very difficult to deal with at home as well (but a perfect, rule-bound child at school), and she is 8 now. Honestly, if I could find a year round school I would enroll her. She thrives in a structured environment where everything is the same every day, and I cannot do that at home. I had these grand visions of homeschooling, but she made it obvious from the start that she needs a break from me and my haphazard schedules, and traditional daycare/school was the...
I live in a small town in the south and am a former newspaper writer. Engagement announcements here typically contain the names of the bride and groom to be, both of their parents, and both sets of their grandparents. It doesn't seem to matter how many times they have been married before; they list them all every time. My theory is that it satisfies all the town gossips and gives them fodder for their luncheons. Here is an excerpt from a conversation that I overheard at...
I am tired of winter. It's been cold long enough. I live in the deep south (1 hour from a beach) and we had snow here, enough to make a snowman for Pete's sake. So last night I decided I have had enough. I am taking the girls to buy spring clothes today. Shorts, sundresses, sandals, flip flops and bathing suits. I am officially declaring winter to be over at my house and spring will begin immediately. Anyone else?
My name is Waterproofmascara and I am an addict. My son bought me Lego Star Wars for the wii, and I. cannot. stop. playing. To make things worse, he is bringing me Indiana Jones next week. My children laugh at me because I entice them into helping me get things that are hard to puzzle out. It is fast becoming a family addiction, and has led to some really interesting family conversations. Yesterday my 12 y.o. got in the car and told me that she had figured out how to...
My daughter is his age and reads on a 5th grade level also, so I asked her for recommendations. Her first choice is the Cam Jansen books. They are not scary or gory, and are age appropriate. These were a quick read for her (around 3rd grade reading level) , but she says she thinks your son will like them. She also read the Bailey School Kids series, but they may be a little too much for him if he is very sensitive. She won't admit it, but I think there were some of...
Mama. I know how hard it is. My ex came home one night and out of the blue told me to get my stuff and my baby and get out of his house. We went back and forth for months trying to work it out before I gave it up. My best advice is surround yourself with friends who will love and support you. And try not to spend too much time on self-pity and self-doubt. Remember that it's not all your fault, even though you may feel like it at times. I know this won't mean much...