or Connect

Posts by Dechen

I do that sort of "don't" all the time, but my dd *loves* it. Nothing brings a smile to her face faster than the chance to do what I'm telling her not to do. It is all very playful, and while she occasionaly tries to draw me into a game over a serious "Don't do that" I find it easy to clarify by saying "dd, I am not playing around right now. I am serious about xyz." I think like any technique it can be overdone, or used with kids who don't care for it. It isn't...
Quote: Originally Posted by dubfam I agree with this too! I guess you could compare it by saying would you invite a friend over, and then eat a big meal in front of them and not offer to share? I think that is a really good point that there is a difference, due to the fact that the toys are usually one of the main focuses of the play date. There must be a middle ground here somewhere... There are limits on what most of adults are...
In general, I do not insist on sharing. There are specific exceptions. For example, if we are having a friend over dd is welcome *before* company arrives to identify toys that are very special to her, and those are put away. Everything else is for sharing - meaning that she can't decide in the heat of the moment that a toy is too special for her friend to touch. I don't insist on taking turns with toys, but there are times we are at the park with 2 friends, and 2...
There are no promises in parenting. Out of control kids are sometimes out of control for reasons that beyond the a parent's control. I'm not arguing that technique and philosophy don't matter, because they do. The same techniques that work beautifully with one child will get you nowhere with another. And some kids are going to be difficult, and all you can hope to achieve is "less difficult." I don't know enough about Heavenly's situation to presume where her kids...
I have friends who spank. They are friends we had before we had children, and they have qualities that I admire and enjoy. When making new friends, I tend to look for people who parent in a roughly similar way that I do, so spanking would turn me off before I developed the friendship. I guess my old friends are grandfathered in. I don't have a policy against making friends with people who spank, but in general our families won't mix comfortably.
Quote: Originally Posted by mikes_becky That does sound frustrating. A lot of four-year-old girls seem to go through that very assertive stage. I know a few myself. It sounds to me like she needs more motivation to behave.... I don't know what discipline techniques you normally use, but as a first line of consideration I'd say try to look objectively at how things are handled in your household (both you and dh) and see if you consistently follow...
Wow. I can't believe a vet's office would NOT be responsible for the costs associated with a life threatening mistake. Whether or not there was negligence, the surgery was their responsibility and they did the damage. I have no idea how likely you are to get any reimbursement from them, but in my universe of ethics they should foot the bill for the repair of an injury that occurred while an animal was in their care.
Alcohol. Not kidding! No, I'm not a drunk. But on a day like one you describe? When I'm taxed to the max, and my kid needs a mommy who won't run screaming for the street? I have a drink. Just one. I don't get sloshed or sloppy. : I relax a bit, and re-find my "playful parenting" attitude. Or at minimum, you don't find me screaming in the middle of the road.
Congratulations! He's precious.
My dd has been done with naps since she was 2.5. She's not a big sleeper, and never has been. Even at 2.5, if she had a 30 minute nap she'd then be up until midnight. I am sooooooooo glad those days are over. Sleep is like any other issue: individual differences apply. Not all kids, nor all adults, need the same amount of sleep.