or Connect

Posts by Dechen

Quote: Originally Posted by Marvelleaux Gosh, I must be really spoiled. Our closest dog park is also an agility training course and I haven't seen an episode of "lord of the flies" happen there yet. I need to think a little more before I post--I guess I would be really freaked out to take my dog to a park that was primarily populated by unstable, or bad-mannered doggies. Maybe I live in a an odd place, but we (the general population of dog...
Quote: Originally Posted by thekimballs I haven't seen any evidence that Daisy is untrustworthy or nasty tempered. She is not making the moves; the other dogs are coming to her, invading her space, and she is letting them know that she doesn't appreciate it. Dog parks are often incredibly unhealthy environments. The dogs are running around in a way that if we saw it in humans we'd start talking about Lord of the Flies. They're all overexcited, feeding...
Raising little ones without a mama is hard. Knowing the odds doesn't make it easier on the heart. Bless you for the love these kittens have been getting. I hope the rest make it to be strong and healthy cats, but if they don't what a beautiful short life to have - being loved and nurtured. I did my best with an orphaned rat pup, and when the first week went well I thought we were in the clear. It wasn't until the second week that things got iffy. It was only...
I hate you! Hate, I say! I have a chronic case of puppy fever, with occasional severe flare ups. There can be no new additions until the cats have passed on, which hopefully won't be for another 10+ years. They are rescued ferals, and one in particular urinates on everything when under stress. But I LOVE puppies. And the grown up versions too. I love training, and the puppy cuteness, and the relationship you develop with older dogs. puppy lust...
We rarely take our dog for a walk, but she gets playtime in the house everyday, and as much chasing crows in the backyard as she chooses. I also pepper obedience training here and there, for her mental stimulation. She had a leg injury and expensive surgery not too long ago, so I'm still wary of getting too active with her. Otherwise I'd be jogging with her 1-2 times a week. Our yard is nicely sized, and she also spends a decent amount of time sunbathing,...
Quote: Originally Posted by APBTLuv Hanno it seems from your posts as if you have never owned a dog that should have been culled... I have owned 2 dogs that should have been culls as puppies. I thought I could help them, change them, make them normal and be comfortable, but you cant. All it does is stretch out pain and misery for the dogs and cause a lot of heart break for the people. I've never bred a dog in my life, but I've owned, loved, and...
FYI, Barbie's first career was as a German hooker. The doll we know as "barbie" was modeled off an adult "novelty" doll from a comic. Fun read: http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/1997/11/26harlot.html I don't care for Bratz dolls, but I wouldn't (personally) ban them. I use these kinds of things to bring up subjects like the objectification of women, and other related subjects.
Dog to dog, a sumbissive dog can show signs of submission and the dominant dog will respect that and not harm the submissive dog. (Ideally - exceptions happen). But a toddler doesn't understand those behaviors, and doesn't have the impulse control to honor them even if he or she did. A dog who feels left with no other resources will growl to protect itself, and snap. One of the things that I've come to realize about being a "pack leader" is that if I expect my dog...
Yes, I run home for the terminally spunky. I think dh is the only laid back creature in the house. It -is- possible to contain a dog and keep it a part of the family, but its a pain. I did it for almost a year with my late dog Ivan. We had a crate or pen in just about room we spent much time in. It was not an attractive set up, and it took up a lot of space, but he was always with us. He was contained because of aggression towards my other dog, but I would not...
Quote: Originally Posted by sagewinna she would save her food until the next time someone would eat, then race over to eat first, so we learned to give her a specific amount of time, then the food got picked up... : That is an awesome dog. I have a weakness for smart, spunky, and troublesome animals. : Then again, yesterday my dog opened a window, jumped through the screen onto the roof, and had to be rescued by neighbors while I was...