or Connect

Posts by Dechen

Quote: Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom Euthanasia is not an option. DH is a vet student and he has decided he will never do euthasia for behavior problems unless it is absolutely necessary. When dogs have behavior problems, it is often because they aren't in the right kind of home and to euthanize them for that is unfair. In theory, I agree, but you also have to consider the mental health of the dog. A nervous older dog with health...
Quote: Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride Biting at the face is the most aggressive reaction possible from a dog. It denotes a very high level of aggression. Respectfully, this is not true. A warning snap to the face is very normal dog behavior, although very dangerous to delicate human anatomy. I don't minimize the danger of a warning snap, as a child could be severely injured by a dog who was trying to say nothing more than "Hey, get off...
R, I know we've spoken about this, and I really do support you in rehoming Abby if you need to. But Abby's behavior was not unpredictable - she has made it clear through growls and whatnot that she was not ok with Hailey hugging her. Abby communicated her position clearly, and finally felt she needed to be "louder." I have used crates and also x-pens and child "pens" to keep my dogs and kid apart. It *is* extra work, but there are ways to keep the dog a part of...
Quote: Originally Posted by ChristaN Perhaps I am more sympathetic to Teachma's issue here in that we have dealt with this similar situation, but I think that we should give her the benefit of the doubt that she is not gloating over her child's perceived superiority and somehow making the other mom compete. I certainly don't think Teachma is gloating, and I don't think the situation is her fault. On the other hand, I know in my own life I am...
When dd gets in these moods, I usually raise my eyebrows and say "oh?" in a noncommital way. If I'm feeling up to it, and I think she isn't too cranky, I might make a game of it. "Rosey? Oh, you're right! They aren't rosey. Her cheeks are purple!" I think 3 year olds like to express opinions. It makes them feel capable. : So if dd wants to claim that up is down and left is right and that elephants fly, I'm not going to stand in her way. Unless it is to tell that...
I like hempmama's post, and I think thismama has a point too. Teachma, you acknowledge that your dd seems to "have it all". I think that your friend knows you feel this way, whether or not you've ever said the words. Sometimes we humans can be much more transparent that we realize. Your daughter will not have her gifts taken away by life's challenges. Color me idealistic, but I think challenges are their own gifts. Blessed or not, your daughter WILL have...
Steph, I was going to offer to sell you my MB Urban Single on AB.
Quote: Originally Posted by mamaduck You set yourself up. Backed yourself in a corner, and she took advantage in a hurtful way. But you really threw down the gaunlet, and even though you phrased it very non-threateningly (when... then....) she called you on it. I probably would have backed down really early on and said, "You're right. We can't miss the meeting. We need to get the feed. I'd like these math problems done, but I'm not fighting you...
We don't have a coffee table or an entertainment center, but yes to the rest. Most days, dd and I have a rousing game of chase, running around the house in circles and pretending to be monsters. Dd is one of those gotta-move kids. I was one, so I understand. I discourage her from jumping on the couch now that she's big, but it isn't an absolute no. More often than not she uses the couch as something to fall off of, rather than jump on. She'll make a great...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ex Libris As a high-need, very sensitive child, though, I have to say it's actually getting easier now that he's older. This is the easiest dd has ever been. She's a handful, but she's never NOT been. :