or Connect

Posts by Dechen

This boy needs HELP. Professional, mental health care help. Not a one time visit to a psychiatrist, or a counselor not willing to pursue solutions. Ongoing help from a competent child psychiatrist. I was a depressed onwards from the age of 12. I wasn't in your face about it, and so I was ignored rather than labeled a bad kid, but I engaged in some self-injuring behaviors and I wanted to die. My mother didn't really believe in mental illnesses or in getting...
Eating right before bed is not a bad habit. Eating food that your body doesn't want or need *is* a bad habit, regardless of the time of day. One of the best guards against weight problems is to listen to your body. Most kids have this skill naturally, but we tend to beat it out of them. Whatever a family's food policy is, it is important to reinforce a child's connection to his or her body and the cues it is sending. /editorial
I loathe the day I'm going to have to deal with this issue with my daughter. There is no avoiding it. The thin/fat issue is EVERYWHERE. We're so used to it, we don't realize how bombarded we are. And I agree with a pp that there is a ton of money being made by reinforcing women's insecurity about their weight and bodies. But in the individual, "I feel fat" or "I'm worried about feeling fat" is code. It is code for "I don't feel good about something." Feeling fat...
Quote: Originally Posted by SneakyPie Hey, who's hosting this discussion? And why don't I have a margarita *right now*?!
From the perspective of the grandchild: My father's mother was one of those pushy people who NEVER give up. She was endlessly critical and opinionated. Example - my father went through a period of heavy drinking. He stopped drinking. Her response? To grumble "I wish he'd have quit smoking instead." When I was born, she harrassed my mom about BFing and told her that her milk was no good. I could go on and on and on. As a young child, I didn't see this about her. She...
I despise the Babywise books, but I am vehemently opposed to censorship and the thought police. People have a right to read Babywise, whether or not *we* find it offensive. Hiding books we don't like isn't advocacy. It is philosophical vigilantism and I find that more offensive than anything I've read in Babywise. I'm sorry to be so negative, but please think carefully about your actions, and what kind of society we'd live in if everyone made attempts to hide...
I have to add another vote for "The Explosive Child." Check it out! And for you.
Quote: Originally Posted by mysweetw&e I think you may have hit the nail on the head right here. Someone hurts her, she doesn't know how to deal with it, so she hurts someone else and feels better. It's called emotional hot potato. You know, the boss yells at the parent, parent yells at the kid, kid kicks the dog, dog bites the cat. . . It's very possible that somewhere along the line she felt hurt because of some trauma and lashed out at someone, and...
Eh, I think babies can be mean. Mine was. She was beating on me by nine months. At 12 months, I remember saying "Oh, that hurts mama. You don't want to hurt mama!" At which point she said "Yes!" and redoubled her efforts to pinch me. She's 3 now, and much better at controlling her impulses. but just the other day she explained that she wanted to a make a little girl at the park cry, because her friend G makes her cry. She didn't lash out, and we're very proud. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Meg Murry. Bottom line, if a child dresses in clothing which suggests she is sexually active or (in some cases) sexually promiscuous, it is absurd to make any other conclusion than that she either is sexually promiscuous or wants others to think so. I am eager to hear an alternate explanation. I'd like to see the intellectual basis for the notion that the clothing a woman wears indicates her level of sexual...