or Connect

Posts by Dechen

This is the first time I've ever heard of Santa only giving one gift! No one I grew up with (and we were poor) got one Santa gift. Even if the presents were cheap and not that exciting, my parents always made "Santa's" visit look festive and rich. Having a bunch of things to unwrap was magical. I wonder if this is a regional thing, the different ways of doing Santa?
Quote: Originally Posted by MiriamF Hi all, I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I think it's close enough. I really don't think my 8 month old daughter is 'gifted' (well, she's just a baby!) but after reading around a bit, it seems that she displays a lot of characteristics described in this forum. She's really intense and 'driven' in a lot of ways. That's not the issue though. She's always not been very fond of sleeping because being...
I had a dream to be a scientist. I didn't even know what it meant to study, and so when I met challenging materiel I concluded I couldn't handle it, that I wasn't smart enough. I think what GT kids need is 1. Challenging materiels that interest them 2. Parents or mentors who are involved enough to guide them through seeming roadbloacks. My parents left my education up to me, and most of my teachers had been doing the same since elementary school.
Quote: Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys It's a hard one but one that's really important for gifted kids. For me, I was told I was smart so often, that when I finally came up against material that was challenging for me, I folded and didn't study b/c I thought that if it didn't come easily, I was no longer smart... I had a somewhat similar experience. When finally faced with my own limitations, I had no idea what to do. I dropped the first...
I do think that kids are manipulative - but this is a good thing! We tend to think of manipulation as a bad thing, but the term also means to utilize skillfully. Kids are as interested as any other living being in getting their needs met, and exploring the limitations of their power. A baby cries and is fed - this is effective, skillful manipulation of the people around him or her. And thank goodness for it! Some people get hung up on the idea that...
Quote: Originally Posted by aisraeltax im just curious as to why others feel its bad to tell the child you cant handle it? In my case, the specific behavior was definately about attention. I don't mean to say that when my child needs my attention I don't honor it, but when she was doing unpleasant and painful things because my reaction amused her, I had to stop reacting. She's a rascal, and she considered getting me ticked to be a fascinating...
This forum. I always knew I didn't believe in spanking, and dh felt the same way. Beyond that, I hadn't thought too much about discipline. I was blessed with a very challenging child, and the GD forum here at Mothering has been one of the most positive influences in our lives. MDC got me thinking. It got me challenging my own beliefs, my instinctive reactions, and my weaknesses. I know that arguements in threads here can be stressful, but hearing people...
I would totally ignore it. I'm noise sensitive myself, and if I truly couldn't handle the noise I'd leave the room but in a "Oh my, I need to put the laundry in" nonchalant way. Not an "I can't take that noise, dd! I'm leaving" way. In other words, fake it. Dd went through some very unpleasant attention getting behaviors when she was younger, and ignoring the behavior (without ignoring the child) worked wonders. [I got this advice from someone else, after no luck...
How is having a parent stop and pay attention a "reward" for bad behavior? Kids who are little and having trouble navigating their social worlds NEED parental involvement. A reward is "hey Johnny, nice job shoving Bob. Have a cookie!" While I have to say that I'm a believer in making sure a snatched toy gets back to the original player, I think it's a bit wierd to make such a huge deal of pushing and grabbing. Pushing and grabbing is normal. It is something to...
I teach my kid. By the standards of this forum she may be bright rather than gifted. Either way, I don't mind. I "teach" her by endlessly blabbing about all sorts of things. I'm a talker. The things she shows interest in, I talk about more. When she seems uninterested, I change the subject and talk about princesses. I don't force information on her. I don't expect her to show interest in any particular thing. I do expose her to a variety of ideas,...