or Connect

Posts by Magella

Preferences   Preferences   Preferences   Preferences I do this too. Speaking to a child about their behavior privately prevents embarrassment and keeps things more calm, and private discussions aren't seen/heard by other siblings (ideally). When discussions about behavior are private, it can help to let kids know that I've said the same thing to their siblings. I don't think there's one right way to handle sibling squabbles, but...
  I read erigeron as saying that kids need to see that the parent is addressing the problem, however it is that parents address it. I agree that kids need to know this. Sometimes, my kids express, explicitly or otherwise, a need to know or see that I'm addressing an issue, but they always have a need, on some level, to know it. So in this example, my 9 year old might really need to see not just that I take her needs seriously, but that I'm making an effort to teach the 6...
I think some kids, like one of mine, have a lot of difficulty regulating sleep, and they need a lot of support undertanding their body signals and making the transition from wakefulnes to sleep. Many kids sleep more poorly when chronically over-tired. Sleepless In America by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka has excellent, very gentle tips for helping kids sleep. I think when you help kids with sleep at very young ages, they're better able to self-regulate as they get older. Just my...
Totally non-nutritious guilty pleasure in my home: bacon-wrapped tater tots. Wrap each tater tot in 1/2 a slie of bacon, bake at 400 until the bacon crisps.
Lisa, that sounds like great news.    Good luck! 
As a parent, I've had to work very hard to be sure that my anxiety, past traumas and other issues don't interfere with my ability to meet my kids' needs. I've had to learn to do a lot of things I did not want to do at the time. Sometimes it's all overwhelming and I don't feel like I can do it another day. But I don't get to give up. My children depend on me utterly to access the healthcare they need, and to give them the supervision, guidance and safe environment that...
I agree with everything Lynn said.   Parents have to take care of themselves in order to take care of their kids. Why do flight attendants tell parents to put on their own oxygen masks first? Because an unconscious parent cannot help their child. In the same way, a parent with severe depression cannot effectively help their child. You do come across as suffering from severe depression. You don't have to live with it, you deserve to be happy. Once you have started to...
I disagree that prevention can only be achieved by preventing them from playing together. I think you work on prevention by supervising closely, and intervening when your son shows signs that he's likely to become aggressive. A child who is frequently aggressive is a child who needs *very* close supervision. I know it's hard, I've been through it. But you achieve prevention by committing to close, nearly constant supervision, and by intervening to both physically stop...
If it comes up, I am comfortable telling my kids that i don't like something that they do like. This comes up in life a lot: a sibling or friend doesn't like something my kids do like (or vice versa), and we talk about how people like different things. It's the same when they like a song, food, show, or any number of other things that I do not enjoy. Just at the dinner table we find differences in what we like. You like what you like, I like what I like. Those differences...
I know I'm probably annoying. I've been thinking through this stuff so much lately, and this is not only so very interesting but helpful to me.   I think we expect very young children to understand our feedback in terms of how our feedback itself affects them, not in terms of how their actions affected us. I think they look to our body language and tone for information. It feels good when a caregiver is smiling and talking, it feels less good or even bad when a caregiver...