or Connect

Posts by JennaH

We use kefir almost every day. When I found out you can sub it in for buttermilk I knew I had to have it handy! We make the most delicious English muffins with kefir. We keep our own kefir grains and culture fresh goat milk.
I agree with the poster who said it is a very personal choice. I did choose to drink raw milk while pregnant. I grew up drinking raw milk and now own shares in both a cow herd and goat herd. Have you been to the campaign for real milk website, www.realmilk.com? Personally I think there is no good reason to drink pasteurized milk, so if you're not drinking raw then you shouldn't really be drinking it at all. But, with that being said, you have to make absolutely sure that...
for me, eating local is a bit more important than eating organic. So, the cheapest route for me is my own garden (modest, in my side yard) and next the farmer's market. After that there is a small health-minded grocery store that is much much cheaper than Whole Foods and has a lot of local produce. Eating less meat will help keep costs down, too. I also found a local lady who sells eggs from her own free-range hens for $4 for 18. That is a great deal! You can also get a...
Definitely the stand mixer or the food processor. I like having control over the details and also shaping and baking in the oven. I have made dough w/both the food processor and the KA mixer and they both come out fine. The food processor is probably better for wetter doughs whereas the KA is better for stiffer doughs.
I do think that organic chicken from the regular grocery store is better than conventional. I definitely would prefer pastured, but I haven't found a source near me yet, either :( Also, I disagree that organic chickens would most likely be fed GMO soy. I thought that the feed had to be organic, too, which means no GMO feeds. I could be wrong though...
Baby due end of April and I am not sure weather this baby will sleep in a bassinet beside us or in bed with us. We have an 8-yr old innerspring mattress and are thinking about getting a latex topper for it. Does anyone know if this is safe for baby to sleep on with us? I searched through some past messages and it sounds like a lot of people use latex mattresses and co-sleep. I know there are still chemicals in our mattress but by putting the latex on top would it help any?...
not unrealistic at all! Flats are great b/c you can fold them different ways. If you are having explosive poo that is running out of your covers, I would personally look into different covers. I was using Proraps at first and they were not holding in the poo. Switched to Thirsties and had no explosions. Yes, poo would get on the cover, but at least not on the clothes! Good luck!
Yay for your enthusiasm and desire to use cloth! I think pocket diapers are just as easy for dad (especially if you stuff them) and they are usually cheaper than AIOs. As for washing, I found that every other day worked good for me. Then if for some reason wash didn't get done, 2 days was not so long that I was running out of diapers. I intend to get a retractable clothes line this time around (DD already potty trained, baby #2 on the way) so I can line dry in the sun...
I got fed up w/DD#1's ped, so we switched to my family doctor (D.O.) for both of us. I plan on taking baby #2 there when I want to get their first vaccine(s), which I haven't quite decided on (need to re-read the Vaccine Book). It won't be in the first few weeks, though, that is for sure.
Everyone's replies have been really great. I wanted to add something that goes a little deeper. What happens when the body takes in too much processed food (especially processed grains - bread, etc) is that it is absorbed very quickly into our blood and our blood sugar shoots through the roof (our body/brain think we're drowning in blood sugar). Insulin is our hormone which is released to get the sugar out of the blood. When we do this to our bodies over and over,...