or Connect

Posts by linn7799

Wow, thanks so much HumbleThinker, for your speedy and thoughtful reply.   DS started in his current class at 2 years 7 months (Aug 2011) Usually they move up from the toddler group to primary a month or two either side of their 3rd birthday, but as my son was new to the school, and relatively advanced, the staff decided to start him straight away in primary to avoid an extra transition. So yes, moving up in August 2015 would mean being in the same primary class for 4...
Great to see some recent activity on the Montessori board!   My question is: How can you tell when a child is ready to move from Montessori primary to Montessori elementary? Our almost 5 year old son is currently in Montessori primary... We have to decide whether he should move up to elementary next August (aged 5 1/2) or the August 2015 (aged 6 1/2) The primary and elementary classes are in the same school, so the elementary class won't be a completely new environment...
I'm finding this an interesting discussion. As I mentioned in your "Gifted in Europe" thread, I'm an Australian living in Sweden with my Swedish husband and our four year old son. In Australia, there is actually a traditional sentiment similar to Janteloven - "Tall poppy syndrome"... The name is quite descriptive and definitely implies punishing those who excel rather than celebrating the fact that everyone is special in their own way. However, IME the concept seems...
My four year old son has been asking questions about death for the last two years or so... I think it started with seeing the occasional dead animal and asking about deceased relatives ("Where does your grandma live, mamma?") We've always tried our best to answer simply and honestly. I don't want to lie to my son. I also think that it's important to give him accurate information in response to his questions, as otherwise he's left wondering and possibly coming up with...
Our situation is a bit different, so I don't have any direct advice for the OP... but I did want to offer a few words of encouragement.   I'm not going to argue that every child is a natural bilingual, or that forcing bilingualism is never harmful for the child. Obviously, there are a lot of different families with different experiences out there... But from what you've written here, your DD *does* seem to have a natural talent for languages. The fact that she speaks...
I live not too far away from you, just outside Lund in southern Sweden. I'm originally from Australia, my husband is Swedish and we have an advanced four year old son. When I told my husband about this article, he joked "OK, just let me know where we'll be moving." I agree it's a pity that the article isn't a bit more recent. For example, the Swedish national curriculum has changed since the article was published. I think Sweden and Denmark have at least historically...
My son turned 4 a few months ago and I love how thoughtful and sweet he is.   We're expecting a baby in July and DS is very excited about his role as big brother. In fact, if someone asks him if he's looking forward to being a big brother, he will answer most indignantly, "I already *AM* a big brother!"   Recently DS brought up of the idea of sharing his room with baby brother. I replied that it's a definite possibility when the baby gets a bit older. DS sleeps...
Sounds like a really tough situation for you and I hope you find a solution that works for you and your daughter.   Yes, I agree, that 3 is in many ways an ideal age to start Montessori. But IMO it really isn't something to go into bankruptcy for... and I still feel your daughter will benefit from Montessori even if she doesn't start until kindergarten. Yes, the transition may be a bit of a challenge... but there's many things you can do to prepare her. For example,...
I'm a Montessori parent rather than a Montessori teacher but I've done quite a bit of reading and research on this topic as my son is bilingual and I'm supporting his English language reading and writing at home.   I would definitely consider Montessori a phonics-based approach. Children are initially introduced only to the letter sounds - and only later learn the letter names. There is a big focus on I-spy type sound games - identifying the letter sounds in words....
Thanks for posting an update! It's great that you've been able to relax as a result of reading the advice here. And really wonderful to hear that your daughter seems so enthusiastic about the activities she's choosing.   Yay! Really hope your daughter's Montessori experience continues to be a good one.   Cheers, Caitlinn