or Connect

Posts by Letitia

Well, it's been a couple months since you posted so I'm not sure if this will be of use.   First, we have used Evenflo's for both kids after infancy.  We've had 4 seats with the knobs - my daughter just outgrew them and my son is close to doing so at 5-1/2.  Nothing ever wore out except a seatcover when I washed it in a front-loader.  We also had one arrive in baggage claim having been ripped apart by the TSA and missing a vital piece of foam.     Both times, Evenflo's...
My daughter was diagnosed last summer at 6-1/2.  My parents made it surprisingly easy by saying they had suspected it - I had thought we would get a bad reaction.  So I didn't have to go through this issue with family, but I did find a lot of good resources.   Have you tried the CHADD website?     I doubt you could get your in-laws to read a book, but I found that Hallowell and Ratey's books (Driven to Distraction, Delivered from Distraction) were really helpful...
Parks, walks, hikes, especially if you can arrange it with another kid.  If the younger child will let you wear her, those can be a way to escape the grinding feeling.  My kids weren't good at organized activities at that age.  Active for him doesn't have to be what we would do to stay active.  Just playing with another kid outside is active for a lot of kids.  My daughter didn't even need that other kid - she would happily climb on her own.   Beware the video monster....
We get a lot of Mini-Boden hand-me-downs and they do seem to run big.  Agree about Columbia, but our only experience has been outerwear.   I know a lot of these brands are pricey, but eBay is a good option.  It's unpredictable - some "brand" stuff goes for high prices, but here and there things slip through for $3 without anyone bidding.
There's no reason you can't search donors at more than one bank.  When we started TTC (seems forever ago, guess it was ?2005) there were not that many identity release donors in general.  I registered with Xytex, The Sperm Bank of California, can't remember where else, a bank in New England?  Made a big Excel spreadsheet and listed the donors and then filled in the boxes for their qualities.   Family health history was extremely important to us and the first thing I...
We have found with my daughter that while it's important to have routines, setting up incentives for her to get through particularly difficult parts of the day has been helpful.     Last year, she was always late to school and I was always late to work until I set up a system where if we both were out the door by a specific time for all the remaining school days (I gave her 3 strikes) then she would get  a certain toy she wanted at the end of the year.  It was very...
My daughter is first grade, a very sweet, somewhat shy kid with mild ADHD.  She's not socially smooth, but she seems within the range of normal.  She has also had the bad luck of having her best friends, one from pre-K and one from K, move out of state, so she has had to start over each of the past 3 years.     This year, a few girls at the top of the social ladder have started being mean to her.  A couple saying things (she won't tell me exactly what, only that they are...
Those are all great ideas.  THank you.
I'm a small person and I bought 2 pairs for myself earlier this year.  They really are very nice.  
I'd like to figure out some things my daughter (nearly 7, ADHD, visual processing and some motor issues) will actually enjoy that will also help her improve in the areas challenging for her.   She loves animals (mostly horses and dogs), loves playing quietly with horse models setting up stables or making harnesses or saddles, that kind of thing.  Unsurprisingly, she's not into ball sports.  She likes to draw.   She doesn't so much mind her more active vision therapy,...