or Connect

Posts by curiouscanadian

We are just getting around to having our 5yo evaluated for sensory processing issues, but it definitely sounds to me like you're on the right track! Rather than your daughter being a "drama queen" or "freaking out" on purpose, it sounds to me like she is simply being completely overwhelmed by her surroundings.   I was recently loaned a book called "Sensational Child" by Lucy Jane Miller Ph.D OTR (one of, if not THE, leading expert on the subject at the moment) and it was...
"I'm sorry, but this weekend doesn't work for us. Hopefully you can find another sitter so you don't have to reschedule dinner," I find it perfectly acceptable to UNinvite in this situation. No need to justify unless they press (also impolite, but considering the situation in the first place...).
I am feeling inspired on kid gifts for the grandparents at least. I got some beeswax so we can make dipped candles together. And I figured Borax crystal snowflakes would also be an easy craft. Need to get going on the knitting though!
rere- maybe some keychain lanyards or other keychain embellishment? Coaster for the bowl to sit on? A small home-made candle? Not sure how much I'll get done homemade this year. I do have three bottles of vanilla extract started, started on a knit poncho for my niece and have yarn for a sweater for DS. Otherwise? Not too sure.    (I was planning on using October to be completely ready for Christmas, but then got slammed with overtime at work. :( )
I WOH part time at the moment but once baby arrives in March, am planning to go back to being a full-time SAHM. Interestingly enough it's always my mom talking about how important it is for me to work, how I need it, etc. The last time it came up I flat out told her I don't think me working is nearly as important to me as she seems to think it is. I'm not particularly thrilled about my career and can't imagine anything I would enjoy more, or find more rewarding than being...
Do you mind me asking mamakims, why you would go with bummis covers for the newborn stage? As a personal preference I always preferred the MotherEase covers,but so many go Bummis? I also need to find a good (easy to find) CD detergent. We had switched to Country Save for all our laundry actually as it was available at London Drugs, but seems to not be there anymore? I know of Nellie's but it's comparatively expensive IMO, and Claudia's Choices is not readily available...
I have a whole bunch of Kissaluv fitted diapers and Motherease covers to go with them (supposedly a great combo for the early weeks). Then we'll be back into prefolds and covers (which I personally love), and the large stash of BumGenius diapers I had for DS. Need to try and remember my wash routine though, it's amazing how much I've forgotten 5 years on! :/
What about Albert, Beacon, Birch or Alban?
I'm an architectural tech by training and went back after #1 part time at about 7mo, ramping up to full time by a year. After #2 it had been almost 1.5yrs since I'd been in the office (by choice I had done a stint at home prior to my pregnancy) but it only took maybe a month to be right back into the swing of things. You really don't forget things that quickly and it's almost more distracting going back early and pumping (if you choose) and worrying about your LO. Just my...
I came across a parenting book called "Parenting: A House United" that I've loved for nuts and bolts parenting advice and that you may want to check out. (Caveat: Written by a Mormom mom, so references to God but nothing major if that's not your family's perspective) Basically it gives you a framework to help you teach your child the connection between choices and consequences and help them see how their choices limit or empower themselves. In many ways it is VERY...