or Connect

Posts by whalemama17

congrats!
TiredX2- My mother owned the '96 wagon before giving it to me, and she was on top of maintenance and repairs-sunk a lot of $ into repairs. So, barring a major repair, I think it could keep chugging for a few years. The paint is peeling off of the roof, is scratched on the sides, and has a hole in the carpet on the driver's side, and the gas mileage is around 19 mpg I think, but it's paid for. I just have to remind myself that while I might want a newer car, there are...
Here's DR's plan: Pre-Step 1: Get current on your debts and do a budget 0.1 No new borrowing. Done 0.2 Talk with spouse and get him/her on the same page as you concerning finances. Working on it 0.3 Do a written budget Working on it 0.4 Temporarily stop all retirement contributions N/A 0.5 Get current on all the basics (Shelter, Food, Utilities, Basic clothing) Done, except for some clothing needs 0.6 Amputate "toys" (bikes, boats, ATV's etc) to help...
I drove a Mazda 5 today-it's perfect! Size felt much more manageable than the Highlander. Looks-wise, it appeared more similar to a Prius V/wagon/hatchback than a conventional minivan. The sliding doors do seem practical... With the 3rd row up, there was very, very little cargo area available, but that row would be used occasionally anyway. Price is excellent.    Basically, the Highlander did feel luxurious and spacious-probably tapping into some...
Thanks for all of your replies! I especially appreciated the questions to consider in narrowing down car options. What has been interesting/problematic is realizing how irrational my car preferences are (weird brand loyalty to Toyota because we had one when I was a kid; aversion to sliding doors because of their minivan-look despite the practicality). Hyundai seems to have improved in quality, but I can't quite get on board with Kia's yet, despite the potential appealing...
I currently have a 1996 850 Volvo station wagon with 200k+ miles on it. It has served me well, but as the repairs pile up, I'm trying to figure out which car to buy next. I have a 1-year-old and a 2-year-old. My goal would be to buy a car that is a few years old and drive it until it falls apart!   Anticipating that this next car will be one I hold on to for 10+ years, here is what I would love insight into:   -With two kids, is it a big help to have a vehicle...
Pre-Step 1: Get current on your debts and do a budget 0.1 No new borrowing.-Done 0.2 Talk with spouse and get him/her on the same page as you concerning finances.-Hard to get him to keep track of tips from work and any spending out of that but we are in a pretty good spot communication-wise. 0.3 Do a written budget-Have a budget on Mint.com 0.4 Temporarily stop all retirement contributions-Didn't have this in the first place. 0.5 Get current on all the basics...
I have a "Rambler" lunch tote from Built NY for myself and DD. It was $10 and is made of neoprene (scuba suit material) so it can go in the washing machine which is super helpful!
It gets chilly here in the Northeast but I am trying to save $ this winter. What temperature do you generally keep your house at during the day and night during the fall and winter months?
Hi mama's! I haven't been able to participate as much in this DDC because my 17-month-old keeps me pretty busy. She was born in May, so going out of the house consisted of grabbing a light burp cloth and heading out the door. I am trying to think ahead and wondering what the best set-up is for trips out of the house. My understanding is that fleece buntings/jackets are acceptable for children to wear while in the car seat? I am thinking of not going with a baby bucket...