or Connect

Posts by kytheria

99% of our produce is purchased locally at farmer's markets. We try to stay within the 100 mile range for those items. We also get apples and cider, eggs, milk, and honey locally. There are a few times I'll buy something that's not local- bananas, for instance, and yesterday I bought a pound of cherries from North Carolina. I'd love to buy bulk meats, but we don't have a freezer (other than the small one above the fridge) and DP is resisting my attempts to get...
For our family of three, we average around $100 a month. Some months we spend $300, other months only $20 for fresh veggies and milk. We stockpile when there's a good sale, buy only in-season produce, shop with a list, meal plan, cook from scratch most of the time, buy in bulk for certain items. We buy very few certified organic items, although the fruits and veggies are usually grown organically. Vinegar and baking soda are considered part of the food budget, but...
http://www.thankyounetwork.com/ I have the Citi Premiere Pass card, and we get $100 gift cards through the Thank You Network every few months. I *love* the service.
Here's a sample cease and desist letter from Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace. Send it certified mail, with signature required. [Date] _____ [From] _________ _________ _________ VIA: Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested [To] _________ _________ _________ RE:____________ Dear _________ : This letter will serve as your legal notice under federal law that regulates the activities of collection agencies and their legal representatives. You are...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla nope, it's a credit card that went into collections. So even if I don't officially declare bancruptcy (which requires paying a lawyer) they still can't make me pay? The absolute worst they can do to you is sue you. Usually they don't bother. If they see they aren't getting the money from you, they will usually sell the debt to another collection agency who will try again to collect. Being sued is NOT the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla I haven't been able to stop crying all evening. I'm so sorry I even told my parents about the debt- if I'd known they couldn't/wouldn't help me, I wouldn't have bothered. So what are my options now? The debt is almost as high as my annual income (about $8,000). There is simply no way I can possibly pay this off. There's nobody else I can borrow from. What can the debt collection agency do to me if I can't pay?...
Quote: Originally Posted by UberMama Good news - we found a place that's within our budget and has what we want (fenced in backyard!). It doesn't have a dishwasher but my goodness, who the heck cares? The realtor said she likes me and said it sounds like I have a great family. She is contacting the owner to show me the house this weekend. I've seen the outside and love it! We hear about the other place tomorrow, but I doubt we'll get it (not trying to be...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla The more I think about it, the less sense it makes. She had my account number, and supposively walked out of the bank with a receipt each time! How could a bank just "misplace funds" like that when cash is brought in? AFAIK, they can't. In over ten years of having an account and depositing money using an account number, I've had a bank error only once, when the teller transposed two numbers and deposited my...
Quote: Originally Posted by Potty Diva No, it was 158 for the power sterring fluid and we had one strut replaced. Awesome!
Quote: Originally Posted by kathirynne I know there are other families who are worse off than we are, really I do. It just gets to me sometimes, ya know? to you mama. People being in a worse situation doesn't make yours any better, so go ahead and feel what you need to feel. Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla Do you think the creditor will still accept the bimonthly payments if he finds out that the last two bounced...