or Connect

Posts by t2009

I worry a lot about health related stuff & therefore have a very difficult time discerning what really warrants a visit to the doctor & what doesn't. I'm hoping for some even-headed insight. My son gets red or flushed very easily on his cheeks & the bridge of his nose. Sometimes the skin also gets a bit bumpy. It happens in reaction to heat & cold, playing hard, etc. I haven't kept track of whether it also happens in reaction to certain foods. Last year about this time...
I'm no expert & I'm definitely still in the stage of working on my technique, but I've had some successes with chicken bone broth lately.   I tend to alternate approaches. One week, I'll do a whole chicken (trying to add head & feet so I can get it more gelatinous... that's my problem...). I'll simmer it for about 2 hours, then pick off the meat & continue simmering the bones & skin & everything else. The meat I will later use for chicken rice soup, chili, chicken...
I'm right there with you, Lazurii! I am continually embarrassed by my inability to cut down our grocery budget. I will not buy CAFO meat, though (also was vegetarian for a long time before starting to eat meat again last year). And I will not go back to vegetarian. Those two aspects of our diet are non-negotiable as I care deeply about animal welfare & feel better than I have for over a decade on my current diet. I have two suggestions (& will be trying my own medicine in...
I couldn't read this and not respond. I don't have any information for you but my mother had them at a time when a hystorectomy was the "only" solution, so good for you seeking out information.   Have you tried posting on the Health & Healing board? You may have more luck there.   Best wishes!
MissLotus, have you talked to your landlord or neighbor about altering the backyard? We were surprised that our landlords told us to do whatever we wanted (as long as we would return it to it's original condition if we went as far as ripping up grass). Or maybe you don't have to dig up but could plant containers in the sunny spot? I know that would effectively kill the grass, but maybe it'd be enough to throw down some grass seed when/if you move.   I think a raised bed...
Catholic Mama, we are often cooking together. We make pancakes, he helps prepare our morning oatmeal (which we soak the night before), he makes pizzas with DH, we bake bread or cookies, he "chops" crisp vegetables like bell peppers or onions with a butter knife. I know that a lot of families rely on TV when it comes to meal time & our solution has been to include DS as much as possible. Sometimes he's really not in the mood & we help him get started on some play or set...
  Thanks, Catholic Mama! We do a lot of reading. DS loves non-fiction books on his favorite topics (currently space & fire fighters) but we reserve bedtime stories for real fiction tales -- classics like Stone Soup & new ones too. Another favorite thing (which we haven't done lately so it'd be a good time to reintroduce) is to make up simple stories (a lot like in the Waldorf classroom) with finger puppets. We end up repeating the same stories for months & I try to make...
I am in the process of becoming sure that I will be a mom of an only. Some days I am confident that this is the right choice for all of us (we are well-settled into our life as a family of three, DS has never asked for a sibling, we can comfortably pay for DS's school, we have time to pursue our individual interests). Other days I am fraught with sadness that I will never be pregnant again, that if something tragic happens to DS we would be done parenting, that we have...
Hi there. Just discovered this group & maybe its existence explains why there's not much going on in the TV Free forum anymore!   So we got rid of our TV when we moved two years ago. But before then we stored the TV in a cabinet with doors & it was closed almost all the time (except in the evenings after DS went to bed, DH & I would watch 30 Rock and Parks & Recreation).   When my son turned 3 we started letting him watch some shows on Netflix a couple times a...
I think the number one tip I have is to not be afraid...   Because, really, you just have to take the plunge & toss the TV (though cutting cable is a good first step for those who are not ready to toss the TV).   But I think so many people are afraid of silence, of being alone with their child(ren) and/or partner. Or just plain being alone. TV fills an emotional space/void for many people & they have no idea what they would do without it. Someone might be afraid...