or Connect

Posts by t2009

Ugh, RachelMoses & lrj85! I think it is truly unfortunate that neither of you can look beyond your own good fortune to empathize with mothers who have not been able to perfectly plan out their families according to their financial, time, & emotional constraints. It appears that you are coldly reprimanding mothers who are poor or were raped (& the rape resulted in a child) or whose partner lost a job while pregnant ... or really anyone who is not like you.No one is arguing...
You know, the more I think about & read this thread, the more I believe we need to find a way to talk about the work of raising children in a positive way to counteract the negative social view for our children. My mom stayed home with me but I never appreciated what she did. I got myself on a career path that (right now) requires full-time work & I'm stuck with a lot of school-related debt. But I wish that I had understood a little bit the importance of SAH before I got...
This has been a really interesting discussion! I was just going to scroll through it quickly but ended up taking 3 days to read through each response! First, I heard it at least once up thread & maybe more: There is no such thing as "just a mom." It makes me sad to hear women say that. But I think it gets to the OP's question. Society (whatever that really means) makes it seem like that. Our culture's mother imagery is messed up. On the one hand, moms are martyrs & so...
My son was in a nanny share the first 2 years of his life (starting around 4 months on). We loved it & I recommend it to anyone willing to listen!! There are definitely trade-off but I think there are ways to plan for them. First, one thing you get with a nanny share vs daycare (possibly - depends on the kinds of daycare options available to you) is more flexibility & control over childrearing philosophies or approaches. We selected our nanny based on her willingness to...
Sorry if there is a thread out about this but I'm on my phone so searching isnt very efficient. I've been on a paleo/SCD/GAPS/no-dairy diet for about 3 months. I've been all in - 100% except for the last week - I've been experimenting with adding in small amounts of brown rice & gluten free oatmeal (soaked in an acid medium). (I know on SCD I should be waiting to do this but my outward symptoms have always been minimal & so far I haven't had any negative reactions.) My...
I have been hearing a lot about digestive enzymes & I'm considering trying them. But it seems like I've been spending so much $$ on supplements, I'm wary of starting with yet another. A little background: I've been struggling with nutritional deficiencies for over a year now (including D, iron, B12 & magnesium). I was an unhealthy vegetarian for decades (!) & about 1 1/2 years ago I radically changed my diet to a whole foods diet with meat. Well, it hasn't quite fixed my...
For beet kvass I recently discovered this recipe: http://aniafieldsphotoart.com/blog/tag/beet-kvass-recipe-without-whey/ I like it a lot (taken as a tonic) & plan to make it again. I love Nourishing Traditions, but with fermented foods I've had much better luck with Sandor Katz or online recipes that don't require a whey starter. I tried the NT sauerkraut & a few other things & my family wouldn't touch it.
Great ideas so far! I recently went through this (dropping grains & eggs from breakfast). It took a while, but I got used to leftovers for breakfast, which are a great source of quality fats & nutrition. Soup, chili, cooked veggies (especially carrots & squash). Sausage, sardines, avocado + a fruit or veggie are my to-to quick breakfasts now. For a "treat" I like a banana with almond or sunflower butter - add a bit of honey & it's dessert! It's definitely a transition...
Just an update because I could jump for joy - after about a month of the hot lunches & full days at school my son eats EVERYTHING at breakfast & dinner. He eats my homemade sauerkraut & sour soaked oatmeal & a variety of meats & veggies. He takes CLO happily. I think the "good" peer pressure of seeing his peers eat a variety at school has been positive. However, there's grains with just about every lunch & he's gone from mellow to quite hyper. We're trying really hard to...
I agree with Lauren's advice of finding delicate ways to assert yourself. I'd pick the most important issue & jump right in - if it's leaving early, make sure you're around when that offer usually comes up (I'm suspicious of your coworker's fortuitous timing, I'll say...) & jump on it. If it's the bathroom cleanup, broach that first. Another idea: would it be appropriate to sit down with her & talk about roles? You could thank her for showing you the ropes since she...