or Connect

Posts by t2009

Sorry if this gets long. About 1 1/2 years ago my doctor started treating me for iron, B12 & D deficiency. I was extremely tired & couldn't muster strength for most physical activity. My hair was falling out & I felt awful. Through supplementation (& it seemed diet) iron went up. I stopped taking extra iron but continued taking vitamins D & B12. I started eating meat & switched to mostly traditional foods type diet. I forgot to make my second follow up appointment but I...
OP, I was on here about to post something quite similar (my question is different enough that I'll post more separately) but I just wanted to say I totally get your frustration. I feel run down, my skin is dry & worn looking & I feel like I'm doing it all right (or to the best of my ability)!! For what! I'm so ready to throw up my hands & like you said, do other things with my life than prepare food. I'm with you. And sorry you're having to reevaluate.
Thank you sparkprincess for your candid reply. I realize it'd be really difficult to do this while working full time. I imagine I'm sort of gearing myself up for the amount of kitchen work I'll be doing when I'm at home. Luckily DH is about equally active in the kitchen & is very supportive. And it looks like it's more likely now that we'll end up on GAPS - my doctor suspects that I have Celiac. I am so deficient in iron & B12 & folate (& boarderline in D & other...
OP, I think you'll find lots of mamas in Logan Square. There are active meetup groups geared to natural parenting. I don't live in the neighborhood, but I'm sure if you check out meetup & hang out at a few playgrounds you'll find other moms. From what I hear LS is also a tight-knit community. Good luck!
If there are any marks on the SCOBY I'd also toss it. Are you sure it's a mark or could it be air pockets or shadows? In any case, I wouldn't take a chance. But, Puma, maybe it's climate or a different strain of bacteria/yeast but I don't find I need to feed my SCOBY regularly. Mine is ok & has been sitting atop the fridge for over a week now. I taste it every few days to see if it's well or ready. I like most sugars to be gone so it's very tart.
Hi there! I curious about the GAPS diet but not sure it's for us. I think I have some major stuff going on in terms of my GI. Just over a year ago I radically changed my diet. I was a vegetarian for almost 20 years & felt wrecked after pregnancy. I did an elimination diet while still vegetarian & felt great with less gluten. Now we eat meat & are now mostly TF. But it's now apparent that over the last year I haven't been absorbing iron or B12. I'm working on this with my...
Very sorry, tracyamber, to read about your struggles with infertility. I don't have anything directly related but more generally the work of Jon Kabat Zinn has really helped me in the past & is helping me again now to be more comfortable with where I am. I hope others can jump in with other suggestions, but in the mean time a book or meditation of his might help. I'll be thinking about you & hoping things work out.
Kerry, my now 4 yo goes through phases. Sometimes it seems he can't play by himself, let alone do more practical things around the house. We have given him 3 chores (empty out tiny recycle bin, start the dishwasher & wipe down the table after dinner) to help instill that he has obligations at home. Doesn't always happen. But we always ask him to help up around the house & jump on it when he accepts. But we don't push it & sometimes he just needs us more. Also sometimes DS...
First, I'm sorry I disappeared from this thread. You all have had such compelling (& sometimes painful) experiences you've shared that I've felt a little sheepish & uncertain how to respond or update.I honestly feel not much different these days. Though it's been comfortable to know I'm not alone & it's ok to grieve.I love your observation, Meemee, that here is duality everywhere. So true. I think even tri-ality! I feel many emotions, including openness to changing my mind...
OP, I hope your LO is feeling better. And if it's any comfort, a recent New York Times article on gut health reported that research has shown that after one round of antibiotics, gut health/flora can really bounce back. It's only repeated rounds that you have to start worrying... Trust me, I've looked into it & am worrying as my LO recently had to take abx back-to-back for a nasty strep infection that hit him twice. Ugh!   (Google the article -- it was a week ago...