or Connect

Posts by nwatt

I am in the exact same situation and feel the exact same guilt.  BFing didn't work out for me with the twins so I don't even get that special time with them.  They love to sleep in their swings and boppies, where as DD slept in my arms or on the boob 95% of her naps.  I feel like I am either not holding the boys enough or having to not play with DD because I am feeding them.  Because we have the nanny I get to take DD to all of her classes and playdates still, but then I...
The stoplight system caused a lot of difficulty for me when I taught 1st grade.  All the other teachers who had been at the school forever used it.  They really couldn't fathom not using it.  I decided to do something that would look similar, but we based completely on positive behavior.  I set up a solar system and put each child's name on a star.  Whenever I caught them making good choices I would tell them to move their star.  The kids' stars traveled through the...
My boys were born at 34 weeks 5 days on 3/2.  They did spend some time in the NICU and nursery, a total of 8 days, but had not gained a pound and not reached their birth weight before they were released.  The docs only wanted them to show a trend toward gaining weight while maintaining their temperatures. 
Thank you, Ladies!  I am definitely going to give nursing a shot.  I just put a lot of pressure on myself to do things "right" and with DD that meant no formula.  (She was also dairy and soy intolerant so it would have been expensive formula.)  I think that I am planning on trying to nurse exclusively for 4 weeks and then introducing a little bit of formula each day, maybe one bottle each.  Hopefully that will take some of the pressure off me.  Hearing from moms who have...
I BFed my DD for 14 months.  We only weaned because I found out I was PG with twins and I wasn't gaining any weight.  I was fine with BFing her.  It was really easy, though I did have to give up dairy and soy for a year, but I never enjoyed it.  I never found it to be a great bonding experience or anything like that.    The thought of having to BF my twins in just 4 or 5 weeks is making me a little anxious.  I really just don't have any desire to do it.  I feel like...
DD has a music class and gym class that we go to.  We also have a library story time.  There are two playgroups that we tried to fit in.  Plus we go to open gym at her gym facility, the children's museum, the park, and the botanical gardens.  All this is relatively on hold since I am now officially on bedrest as of yesterday, but I am hoping that DH and the baby sitter will be able to do a lot of this with her.  I am planning on making a schedule of possible activities...
My 17 month DD has been doing this lately, too.  She is definitely on the slower end of language development, but can learn to do almost anything just by watching us.  (I am guessing that she is going to end up being a very visual learner.)  For the last couple of days she has started using mama and dada almost interchangeably.  She had only very rarely used either of them before, but it was usually correctly. 
 I always thought I wanted four kids. Then I got pregnant for the second time and started thinking that two was a great number. DH always wanted just two, but was willing to have a third. Well, we found out I am having identical twins, so we will be having three kids all within 19 months of each other. I think we are done. I don't think we will do anything permanent, but I don't think I'll be able to talk DH into a fourth either.
You have gotten a lot of great advice!  The only thing that I have to add is to remember it takes time for the changes you instill to make a difference, and often things will appear to get worse before they start getting better.  You kids will test whatever boundaries/consequences you put into effect to see if you are serious and once they realize you are, they will test you even more.  I have seen it in my classroom and even with my DD, young though she is.  Pick the...
My 16mo DD won't drink cow milk at all.  She drinks unsweetened coconut milk in her cup. She does like cheese, so I just make sure that she eats some cheese as a snack and some sort of dairy in a meal every day.   We are also seeing a similar trend in her weight.  Since she started walking, she has been dropping in the weight percentiles despite eating HUGE amounts of food.  My ped doesn't seem worried, though.  DD has also gone from 50th percentile to 75th in height. ...