or Connect

Posts by M.Q.

A dear friend of mine bought an at-home Doppler when she was expecting last year an lent it to me when I told her that I was expecting. I think I've used it twice. After my previous loss,  and having a friend IRL who has had two late term losses, I am a little neurotic. I didn't even try to use it until after the MW found the heartbeat with her Doppler my 15 week appointment, and then only for sanity- for about two minutes or so every other week. These days I can feel...
Amen! I was actually feeling really weird about how I looked thanks to the 'kind words' of other people. On the one hand: I feel enormous! My (low) waist measurement has gone from about 27 1/2" to almost 32"! I can still wear non-maternity pants, but they have to be in a size larger than my 'normal fat' size. I have never been this big in my entire life. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm not getting bigger, but rather, there is another little person camped...
Hippy- yes. We're only doing the one scan. And it was definitely boy parts! I even knew what I was seeing, and other than the spine and fingers/feet I was otherwise clueless and having to take the nice lady at her word. And he is already a big mover- the scan took a lot longer than we wanted it to because he would not stay still long enough to get the appropriate measurements taken. I got proof that he likes to stand straight up. DH didn't believe he could/would do that...
I'm birthing in a birth center, as my house is not at all home birth friendly, but I am another 'leave me alone' mama. I actually had the discussion with the lead midwife in the practice before deciding to go with them that I think I want to be left alone. DH is more unhappy with this than the midwife is. She made it clear that they will need to listen to baby every once in a while, but agreed that I can say 'not now' and put her off until I feel all right with it...
I'm north of the city and with Cascade Midwives in Everett. They are wonderful. I'm not sure about their VBAC policy, but I can't say enough good things about Darlene and Carrie. I haven't met the third midwife in the practice yet, but if she's anything like the other two she's got to be excellent. I definitely recommend giving them a call.
Thanks for the well wishes, ladies.   Scan was ok, I guess. It wasn't quite as uncomfortable psychologically as I feared it would be, but it wasn't exactly fun. And I was not prepared for freezing cold gel (warmed before application, but cooled to uncomfortable very quickly) and the serious discomfort of having my bump poked and prodded. The technician was nice, and even offered to take off her white coat when she found out how uncomfortable I am in medical...
Sila- Pip is just an in utero nickname. We're nowhere near settling on actual baby names. If we get a definitive boy vs girl verdict tomorrow, then we will at least have one less thing to have to figure out; we have a hard time agreeing.   Started yoga classes again last night after a 2-year knee surgery related hiatus. It's harder than I remember (extra belly plus painful knees clearly don't make it easier), but I am sure that the practice will be helpful with...
I feel huge! And there are somehow people in my life (in my sports league, mostly) who are just finding out that I'm pregnant. Last week I got asked, "are you trying to get pregnant?" and I chuckled and replied, "I'm almost five months pregnant." A lot of friends tell me how much bigger they were at 18 weeks than I am, and there's a mom of a girl I coach who is due a week after I am and she looks very visibly pregnant. I just look like I overdid it at a few...
Hi everyone! I'm doing ok these days. Baby has discovered zumba, or riverdance, or gymnastics...or something. S/he is very active. And this week (week 18!) the Braxton Hicks decided to show up: not fun. Fortunately, I'm no longer very sick very often, so at least I'm able to get out and do some things for fun. I've been outdoors a lot more, mostly trail skating or walking the puppy, and I am traveling a few hours to coach roller derby this weekend and looking very much...
The 'identity loss' thing: I'm not letting it happen. Period.   I'm still doing everything I did before I got pregnant (as long as I feel ok). I'm dressing the same (heels and jewels and eyeliner and all). I will be fastening my baby's car seat into my 2-door convertible. I am not letting anyone notice anything different about me while I'm pregnant and I don't see becoming a different person after baby is free range. I firmly believe that a baby should add to your...