or Connect

Posts by karlin

I volunteer in my DS's first grade classroom one or two days a week. My job is having the kids read their daily book to me. I help them if needed, and then I write some notes about how it went for the teacher. I will also be helping out in the library starting this week. They need an extra hand with the kindergarten classes. It should be fun. I suppose you will just assist in whatever the teacher needs done. It might be helping kids spell words for writing...
Changing my diet has done wonders for me. I did it for other health reasons, and then realized my anxiety was basically gone! I eat paleo/primal, and have for 1.5 years. I think getting all whole foods with more protein and fat made the biggest difference.
You could try giving her more protein/fat at each meal...and by that I mean meat. Oatmeal will make many people hungry a couple hours later. Try some sausage or at least adding some whey protein powder to her bottles or yogurt. I make my son pancakes (grainless, made with a banana and egg) with added protein powder, and that holds him over until lunch. Snacks should also be heavy on protein, like cheese sticks or nuts (if she can eat them). In our house, protein...
It sounds like she gets a lot of sweet things but not a whole lot of protein. Could you try giving her something more filling for breakfast, like sausage? What about cheese for snacks? I know you are trying to watch calories, but they aren't everything. Our bodies store and process sugar differently than protein. I can eat fruit all day and not feel full. Give me some meat and/or full fat dairy and I can go until tomorrow without eating. Same for my son. Maybe you...
Since I've started taking lots of vitamin D and eating well, my SAD doesn't bother me as much. What I mean by eating well was a complete change of diet. I now eat paleo/primal, and while I did it for other health reasons, my SAD got way better too. I have a light box, but it doesn't help that much. Having bright lights on in the house after sundown (which in the winter is as early as 4pm) helps more. In the past 3 years I've developed a sun allergy, so I have a new...
I hope this doesn't offend you, but have you considered that your diet is the cause of your symptoms? I was a vegetarian for many years (13), and it did horrible things to my health. I finally went primal/paleo, which was a huge mind shift for me, but it worked. I get my meat from local/humane sources. I look and feel the best I have in 15 years. It is still weird to eat meat, but there's no denying that it healed me (I've been paleo for 1.5 years, an omnivore for 5)....
My DS is very sensitive to sugar (in fact, my whole family is). DH and I eat paleo/primal, and I have switched DS mostly over to this kind of eating over the past year (I've been primal for 1.5 years). The difference is amazing. Anyway, my point is that you need to focus on protein and fat. Try to cut sugar as much as possible. If you must give sugar, make it fruit. Fat and protein come first though. This will keep blood sugar levels normal and avoid the swings....
Have you tried a chart? He can fill in a star for everyday he feeds himself, and on the 7th day (or 10th or 3rd or whatever works), have a special reward like a trip to the park or a small toy. Charts have worked wonders for my ds.
My son has strong reactions to sugar (and especially HFCS), and I certainly wouldn't want to be his teacher after he consumed 2 oreos. I think it's perfectly reasonable for a teacher to request only healthy snacks, as she has to be the one to maintain discipline in her classroom. It's much easier when kids aren't on sugar highs or lows.
Do you have a local food coop? I met so many people volunteering at our coop, a couple of which I consider good friends. When my son was 4, I made a decision to just get myself out there for both of us. I started volunteering at the coop, joined the local Holistic Moms, and helped start a breastfeeding support group. While I'm a bit stretched thin now (I was a SAHM then, now I work part time since my DS is in school), I have a few moms I can get together with if I need...