or Connect

Posts by karlin

Even though I've suspected from a young age that my son is bright, it didn't really hit me hard until he preschool teacher spent almost our entire conference explaining to me how to help advocate for my gifted child in the schools. So then it got me thinking and researching, etc. It was only natural for me to include my friends...but it was kind of a rude awakening. My in-laws are great, as is one of my friends (she has a gifted child too..a 16 year old). I'm not...
Thanks! I get pretty sad watching him on the days when he's so sensitive. I also start to dislike my friends and their kids, you know? I want to help him cope better and just be happier playing with other kids.
Yeah, the egg thing makes me sad sometimes, but my dad is also allergic so we can sit and complain about it together. I work at my local food co-op, and we have a lady come in once a week that brings duck eggs. She swears I can eat them, but I'm afraid to try. I wonder if I can handle a yolk? I do smoothies sometimes, but my favorite thing to do is make fruit "ice cream". I freeze my bananas whenever they get too ripe (I also freeze berries since I buy them in...
I started paleo due to massive ezcema that I couldn't get rid of that popped up around the winter holidays. I also was gaining lots of weight and dealing with elevated blood sugar on occasion. I just kept with paleo after the rash went away because I felt so good. It is a really restrictive diet, but it really is the best diet for me to follow. For those that don't know, the paleo diet is meat, fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds. I don't eat grains/sugar/dairy/legumes. ...
My son is quite the sensitive little guy sometimes. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good book to get for him to understand why other kids say and do cruel things. Has anyone written such a book? He's having a hard time fitting in with other kids lately, largely due to him excluding himself after one kid says something not so nice towards him. I'm not sure if he notices that the kids do it to everyone. Also of note...the kids he's around most are unschooled...
Quote: Originally Posted by crunchy_mama I made it through day 1- woot- now I have the awful detox cold that I get everytime, sigh, was really hoping to miss it this time! I am sleeping hard though, so I guess that is good. Off to go back to bed and hope the kids sleep in today! Edited to add: Sigh- this is going to be a rough detox day. I forgot the first day is usually the easiest. I am in mean-mommy withdraw mode, not good. I am all out of...
I am grain free and sugar free. I do have the occasional honey, but it's part of my plan. I've been following the paleo diet since January. This is my way of eating for life. I've had great success with my health and also significant weight loss...though that was more of a side effect (a very welcome one! ). Glad to see I'm not the only one here who is grain free.
Maybe it could be lupus?? The cheek rash is pretty common, especially when out in the sun.
The cost is not an issue, since we can only do half day at Montessori anyway (the full day is full of students already). The reason behind it would be if we ran out of funds for first grade and had to send him to public school, it would make the transition easier. Does that make sense? I'd prefer the half day, but DS is really looking forward to going to both...though I don't understand it. I've told him it hasn't been decided yet.
The head of the Montessori school DS will attend in the fall suggested I enroll my son in public school in the morning and Montessori in the afternoon for his kindergarden year. DS heard me talking about it and really, really wants to do this. Has anyone done this? (hergrace, I think you mentioned it in the other kindergarden thread...but I didn't want to hijack) Is it a lot to handle? We'd probably have to eat lunch in the car while going from one school to the other. ...