or Connect

Posts by Lirazel

I make sourdough bread and call it a day.  I feel the sourdough process soaks and ferments it enough that I don't also use sprouted or pre-soaked grains.  I do have a grain grinder, so I try to grind my wheat fresh when I can, but I don't always even do that.  
Holy moly do I have water kefir grains to spare!  I recently dried out a bunch of them because they multiplied so much and no one I know wants them!  If you or anyone else wants me to mail some to you, please feel free to PM me!  Help with shipping would be great, but dehydrated they don't weigh much so the cost should be pretty small.  
My DS is 15 months and has a fairly limited amound of foods I can count on him to eat.  The list you gave sounds fantastic to me! :)  But you say you have a hard time providing her with good foods when she's hungry *right now.*  For situations like that I try to always have simple foods at hand - even keeping them in tiny tupperwares in the diaper bag at all times.  I usually have raisins, Just Peas (you say she likes Just Fruits right?), and homemade crackers.  That way...
I recently made some crackers from extra sourdough starter.  If you use sourdough you could give this a try:   I mixed about 1/2 cup starter with an equal amount whole wheat flour and a lump of coconut oil (sorry, I just estimated - maybe 2-3 tbs?) and knead a bit till smooth.  Let sit for a while if you want to let the sourdough work on the flour, but you don't have to if you don't want to.  Grease a cookie sheet and roll the dough out super super thin then cut with...
I've been away and didn't notice there were so many responses to my original question!    While it's not a bad idea for me to drink raw milk and let DH drink pasteurized, the way the raw milk system is here and particularly from the farm we'd be getting it from requires that we get 1.5 gallons per week.  I can't drink that much alone and it would be silly to get more pasteurized milk on top of it!  (I suppose we could buy it raw and heat it at home for DH and...
I've been learning about raw milk lately and I'm really interested.  DH isn't impressed by my arguments.  We have access to grass-fed, unhomogonized pasteurized milk, so is it worth it to keep pushing the issue?  He doesn't think it's worth it to drive 1/2 an hour away to get raw milk that he is not convinced is truly safe for some mystical, magical benefits of a few extra enzymes and bacteria and my impassioned declarations that pasteurized milk is "not how it's...
DS is developing in leaps and bounds physically, but his language skills have been slower to emerge and I just want to check that things are still "normal."  At his 12m well child the doctor seemed a little surprised that he didn't do certain things and he's coming up on his 15m visit and still doesn't do them.  He doesn't say any words at all - not even mama or dada.  (The doc asked if perhaps he is using words that sound wrong to us but that he always uses for the same...
We also love Elizabeth Mitchell!  I'd also recommend Caspar Babypants.  We've only listened to one of his 3 cds but I loved it.  (Here I Am!)   I'm looking forward to checking out some of the other recommended music here!
My DS is pretty active but perhaps not quite as rambunctious as your DD seems to be!  But however rowdy, it can be tricky to have a bump-free bath time!  Here are my suggestions:   Go ahead and try getting in the tub with her.  Sure you'll be a little slippery too, but if she falls she's more likely to fall on you rather than the hard tub and it's easier to help her when you're able to hold her better rather than leaning over the tub.   If you don't already have...
Part of the issue is that for the most part, if I push through the morning nap and have him nap in the early afternoon, he sleeps less.  I think he just gets so wired that when he sleeps it's only for 45 minutes or an hour.  If I let him fall asleep at 11 or 11:30 he's more likely to sleep for 1.5-2 hours (still not as much as I'd like, but he's always been a fairly short napper).  In fact, right now he's finishing a solid 2 hour nap that I put him down for at 10:15...