or Connect

Posts by Lirazel

DS is gaining about half an ounce per day. My midwife was fine with that, but we started going to his ped who says he needs to gain a full ounce or we should talk supplementation. I just brought him in to be weighed and he's still at half an ounce. DS is happy, alert, sleeping well and developing appropriately. He wets 11 cloth diapers per day and has 2-3 good poops. I have had supply issues and currently take 6 capsules each of fenugreek and blessed thistle as...
Ah. Non-infectious mastitis. I guess I hadn't read enough about it to recognize it! Thanks for the link - I have some more options of what to do now!
About once a week I get engorged on my left side. I had thought that engorgement was just so much milk that you got super full and baby couldn't drink it all. What's happening to me is baby can drink for about 5 minutes and then it just stops. He sucks and sucks and nothing comes. Then he happily drinks the other side empty. I'm painfully full and he wants the milk, but he can't get it out. Hand expression doesn't work, pumping doesn't work, heat doesn't work. The...
I've been taking fenugreek and blessed thistle to increase my supply and it's been working pretty decently, but I feel like DS usually wants a bit more than he gets, so I've been thinking of adding goat's rue to the mix. I'm not really willing to pay the price for the tincture, but I've found goat's rue in powder form for quite a reasonable price. Have any of you used it in powder form? How much do you take and in what way (in juice?). Does it even work well in...
Thanks for the input, everyone! The advice to get moving seems to be the key! Previosly I would put him in a sling and stand there waiting to see what he thought of it. I just tried the mei tai again and I made sure to just keep walking and bouncing around and he handled it really well and even took a nap in it! Hooray!
I've done it a few times with my DS. It takes a lot longer than a bottle of course, but you can get into a groove with it. However, it works better to tip the milk to the edge of the cup and let your DD lap it up, so to speak. Trying to tip it into the mouth can easily create spills if she hits it and you can pour in too much by accident really easily too.
I have 3 different kinds of slings (ring, moby, mei tai) and DS does not seem to like any of them! He loves being held up over my shoulder to look around, so I'm not sure if he doesn't like them because he has to be lower down or what. Is it possible he'll like them later on when he has better head control and can look around? I also wonder if he doesn't like having his legs tucked in and maybe he'll like it better when he's bigger and they can hang out more? ...
Oh... I did not read your question close enough and I actually used a little cheapie *food processor.* Whoops! I don't actually know about using a blender...
I have made peanut butter in my little cheapie blender. I added peanut oil if it seemed like it needed it (some nuts are naturally oilier than others). It certainly didn't get as smooth as store-bought, but it was still good!
Coconut oil? I use it as a moisturizer on my face sometimes. A little goes a long way.