or Connect

Posts by 47jennifer

In May, I had a dental check up where the dentist found a cracked amalgam filling. I've been told it needs to come out or I will get decay in/around it. I've obviously been stalling, but have been to another dentist now who is telling me the same. It doesn't hurt. I'm breastfeeding DS who is 19 months old and still an avid nurser. I'm extremely nervous about mercury and proper removal protocols. My dentist will use a rubber dam and a vacuum to suck up mercury. ...
To give more info... I'm learning about some of the hidden names. For example, just learned that "natural flavours" in my herbal tea could mean soy. I have avoided things like "soy lecithin" but have not worried if the package says "may contain..." Do you think I need to avoid may contain items as well? I eat a ton of nuts (cashews and almonds mostly), fruit (regular and dried), veggies (raw or roasted with oil/herbs), salads, beef, chicken. Homemade gluten...
My brother is 12 and has been on meds for ADHD for several years. He takes Adderall and then several other drugs (for anxiety, a sleeping pill, and another one I will need to check). He's expressed an interest in coming off of the meds. Can you just "come off" Adderall or would he need to work with a Doctor? My mother is NOT ok with him coming off the drugs, but he confided in me that he has been skipping pills often. Is that safe or does he need to take them every...
I had an IgG test done over the summer after having ongoing digestive symptoms (diarrhea, constipation, pain), fatigue, low iron (ferritin was 6). I showed allergies to tons, including dairy, gluten, soy, strawberries, eggs, legumes, etc. I eliminated those foods, and have been off of them for 8 weeks. I was expecting to go off and see an improvement in 1-2 weeks, from what I read online. My naturopath also said it should just take a couple weeks. I haven't seen...
I guess I'll clarify. I'm feeling stressed as my brother wants to live with us full time. There has been a series of other rude/angry/obnoxious behaviours that I'm trying to manage. I don't like my son being exposed to rude teenager behaviours. I'm confused about my role...I don't want to be parent, but he's here for 5 weeks and possibly forever. I don't know how to deal with a teenager...it was an "accident"...so not entirely. I don't care if he eats food or not,...
Wow! I am actually shocked at the harsh replies on here! To update, yes he is eating. And my brother went along with it! At a few points we offered him an "out" and he said no. And he did eat that evening when we were out of the house. He's staying with us because he has a harsh time with his parents. He actually wants to come and live with us. We're the only ones who do offer any limits whatsoever. His parents let him eat total crap and throw food away. My...
I can't even believe I'm posting this situation, but here goes. My 12 year old brother is visiting from California. I have a 1 year old DS, so I'm not really in parenting a pre-teen mode at all! Anyways, we made this dish yesterday for lunch that he decided he didn't like. Which would be fine, but he spit on it (by accident as he was laughing). I was dealing with ds, but my dh told him at that point that he had to finish this food since he spit on it. So, I went...
My son is 15 months old and unvaccinated. One of DHs co-workers has a child sick with chicken pox. We'd love to take our son over for a playdate, but we're wondering if he's still young still? Is it safe to expose him to it yet? Will it have an effect?
She seems to sleep a lot! At least compared to my son! I'm also having some concerns about scheduling. I used to let him sleep whenever, but in trying to encourage better nighttime sleep, we're working on more of a schedule. So I'll be following too for any tips! His schedule: 6-6:30 up 7 breakfast 9-10 nap (on some days, some days he skips it) 12:30 lunch 2-3:30 nap 5:30 dinner 7 bedtime routine starts 8:30 sleep He wakes up at least 3 times a night,...
I have two cats, one is about 3.5 and the other is 3. They both last saw the vet when they were 2. They had a check up and got shots. The vet's office has been calling a lot to remind us to come in for check ups and shots. My cats are both very healthy (at least it appears to me). They are indoor only cats, and we have no other pets. We feed them a high quality dry food. They are two of the only housecats I know of that are not overweight...my cats a tiny compared...