or Connect

Posts by frugalmama

ugh when it rains it pours. My handyman just messaged me - he "isn't comfortable snaking the line as he's not a plumber". Nevermind that he does plumbing stuff all the time in his job as apt repair. I thought that just maybe we could afford it - it was going to be a big chunk with him doing it - $200 or so, but I thought that if we were careful we could do it. There is no way I can afford an actual plumber.... That would be upwards of $500 probably.   Guess tomorrow I'll...
Honestly if you will be getting back $3k & have $1600 saved up, I'd try to just buy a car with that. Try to find a car auction maybe? Federal ones are good here, and don't tend to have a ton of junkers, but you'll need to take a mechanic to check basic stuff. But buying with cash would be better - no interest to pay then.   Dealing with the water leak again - guess I tempted fate & pushed it a little too far doing laundry. And I was ALMOST caught up on laundry :( At least...
 LOL. I keep waiting for mine to go out - right now the Delete, Home, and Page Down buttons are all nonworking on my laptop. Thankfully backspace works to delete things!
My dd would love a foot of snow - the most she's ever seen was about 1/2 inch! Me on the other hand - not so much. But your sledding idea sounds like fun! I wonder on the CC issue. My credit is SHOT - seriously my score is in the low 500's & I have defaulted student loans up the whazoo, and CapitalOne approved me for a $300 CC. I was totally amazed when they did, honestly. What are you putting down for income? I was surprised on my application to find that you could count...
Zebra - Nothing wrong with kids working for what they want.   Rainbow - that is wonderful news! And even if you aren't technically "low income" anymore - you are welcome here. We'd miss you if you left us :)     Calculated the electric & gas bill today as it was meter read day - not sure if I did something wrong in the math or what, but it's looking like it will be around $300. Our normal bill is $125 or so in winter, $75 in summer. Guess I'll be calling as soon as I...
I know I need to get it fixed, but right now it's just too $$$ to even think about right now. I am pretty sure the cause is either A. Partially collapsed sewage pipe in the backyard, or B. Tree roots grown through said pipe. It's $100+ just to get it scoped to see what the problem is :( And if it's the pipe, I'm looking at probably around $500-$700 to fix, and that's with a friend doing most of the work instead of hiring a plumber. Maybe less if they can auger it, but that...
 Thanks for the virtual hugs - I for one needed them today. And YAY for stocked pantry & freezer.  Congrats on the new little one coming :) And I would take your dd to the Dr. - could be an allergy, could be something else.  Justmama - I am so happy to hear about your apt! And yay for lower rent!  Mylie - *hugs* Is there any way you could ask for the opportunity to take the class again, on account of extenuating family circumstances?  WTG on the down payment! And I agree...
Still here, barely making it. We're behind on the water bill & internet bill yet again - pretty sure I'm going to have to start calling places to get help with the water bill in a couple weeks. It sounds terrible, but if I'm going to have to get help with the bill I'd rather make it count & get as much help as I can so that I might could not worry a while, KWIM? I'm trying to make it on ebay sales, but the sales just haven't been coming in & I have to pay the credit card...
Not a huge find, but did find a Aden & Anais Bamboo Muslin Swaddle blanket at my thrift shop for $5. It was with the scarves, and I thought it was one until I googled it. Even though I know it's a baby blanket now, I'm still going to wear it as a hijab :) It's just SOOOOO buttery soft & breathable yet not sheer - perfect for summer!   I am tempted to actually buy some new for hijab scarves - after I googled & saw their pretty selection, and the prices are cheaper than a...
 Gotcha - we have some like that here too, except here they are called "income based rental".